My two large male sulcatas. What I saw happen:..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Foothills above Sacramento CA
I house two together.. So far so good.. For the most part they ignore eash other, but share a heated hut. When I first met them, i thought the smaller one was a female since the large one treated him as such..
However.. both are male.. They lived together for years before I got them.
Recently.. I gave them a treat of some left over veggies. They were eating and I was leaving when all of a sudden The larger one charged/rammed the other to get him off the food and pushed him over. He was on his back. I went to go turn him back over but watched instead... ( its a large area and I was on the far side) the larger one slowly walked over to his 'friend' and very tenderly and slowly pushed him and got him back upright. !! Looked at him and walked away..
Of course now I worry.. will not feed them treats together.. but what did I see? Did he really do that to 'help' him?
I have not seen aggression like that between them before or since. The lrgr one 'chases' and harrases the other a bit and the other just leaves or hides out. never fights back.
Ages are supposed to be 7 and 10. when I got them they were 25 and 50 pounds. I Know I might be in for trouble as they get older. but no females to cause an issue with them. Fingers crossed...
They were rescues. Forclosure issue...

chadk

10 Year Member!
Wow -great story. Would love to know the answer to that as well. Next time it could easily be that he holds him down and does not let him up... But I'd sure like to believe he helped. Thanks for sharing :)

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Amazing story Laura, it really looks like your male wanted to help the other male.
Thanks for sharing :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I've heard this before (about the aggressor tipping the one on its back, back upright).

On a name note...looks like you're going to have to name them, Laura. And, no, you can't have "the bigger one" and " the smaller one" :cool:

I think they will just have to be fed separately from now on. I learned that about my pond. I used to squat on the bank and feed individual turtles with tongs so I could be sure everyone was getting their fair share. However, one day the Phrynops grabbed ahold of a foot of one of the softshells and wouldn't let go. The water roiled and splashed for what seemed like an awful long time as they churned and scrambled through the pond. So now I just toss the food throughout the whole area and hope each one will find something on the bottom.

Yvonne

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
They have names.. they came with them.. I was just too lazy to go back in my post to change them!
The large one is George and the smaller one Rocky. I also have a Zues and a Dixie. The russian.. he's just the russian or the little guy..

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Laura, I have a friend at work who has 2 male Sullys that are housed together and has been from the day they hatched. She actually did her final thesis on these two (She’s a PhD). She has had them for 15 years and they are doing fine together, so far. She said she has seen no signs of aggression at all, though they are in a very large yard.
So fingers crossed that George and Rocky will be able to cohabitate without any real problems.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Great story and great experience for you Laura. I know it must have been a little bit scary, but that's sometimes how we learn. I wanted to ask you how your friends dog was doing (the one from the video)? I hope everything is still O.K. with him.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
My friends dog. may NOT have cancer.. however waiting on more test results.. he had a seizure the other day.. so really not sure what to expect yet/next!! thanks for asking.

Stazz

5 Year Member
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Aw Laura, I will pray super hard for your friends dog....those videos of him were too precious, he looks like such an amazing doggy, I will pray for him to be ok :)

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Laura said:
My friends dog. may NOT have cancer.. however waiting on more test results.. he had a seizure the other day.. so really not sure what to expect yet/next!! thanks for asking.

Laura, I will pray for him to be ok. Please keep us updated.

Status
Not open for further replies.