My two boys are out in the cold front....

Saleama

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Irving Texas
I came home from work early and I could not locate my two Russian Torts. They have been in their outdoor habitat for about three months now and they have their usual places but today, they were either not in them or much deeper than normal. I got some extra mulch and added about 5 - 9 inches over their usual spots and then covered the entire garden in plastic and bed sheets. It will be 27f tonight and only about 40 tomorrow. Is this a tolerable temp for buried Russians? I am hoping they have been able to acclimate in time for the front. My adult boxies have never had an issue but they are locked inside their hibernation suite in the garden. I am going to worry all night I think.

sissyofone

10 Year Member!
San Antonio, Texas
I dobt know anything about Russians but i pray they are okay. Someone should be along soon that knows. Goodluck ..

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
By the way, the boxies and the Russians are in two entirely different gardens. One is in Plano and the other, where I am is in Irving. Boxies are in a huge "box" filled with mulch, dirt and hay, sealed in and then the entire thing is covered in hay. This is their regular set up and has been for 4 of the 9 for the past 15 years so we know it works great. The Russians set up was similar but I could not find them so they are on their own.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
The only reason I bring my russians in for cold storage during the winter, is that I live in Oregon. We get a week or two of 20f weather each year, but we get lots if rain. And I mean lots! In that the normal environment for russians is a dry cold, I don't want them exposed to all that rain, wet and cold. With not knowing how deep they are, I too would be concerned about the 27f temps. One night shouldn't really be a problem, but to be safe, if you can't find them tomorrow, I'd stick a thermometer down under everything to monitor temps.

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
They have been ignoring food, going under ground every night but coming out during the day. They are buried in very dry substrate, at least, all the areas I checked were dry and there are no wet areas in the garden.. I plan on coming home early enough to have plenty of time to look for them tomorrow and we will be back up in the 40's tomorrow and then in the 40 - 50's the rest of the week.

Cowboy_Ken said:
The only reason I bring my russians in for cold storage during the winter, is that I live in Oregon. We get a week or two of 20f weather each year, but we get lots if rain. And I mean lots! In that the normal environment for russians is a dry cold, I don't want them exposed to all that rain, wet and cold. With not knowing how deep they are, I too would be concerned about the 27f temps. One night shouldn't really be a problem, but to be safe, if you can't find them tomorrow, I'd stick a thermometer down under everything to monitor temps.

What temps should I be OK with?

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Sounds like their guts are empty and they were winding down.
If they are in a dry area, and down even a few inches, they should be fine. Ken is right, it is the wet that gets them.
But as far as temps, soil is a great insulator, so the air temps are less important than the temps down a few inches.
If the daytime temps go over freezing, then the frost won't penetrate very deeply.
Do the Russians have the option of a box like the Box Turtles?

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
They have the option but do not exercise it. After the freeze, one of them came back out and I see him everyday. I can not find the other one. I have dug everywhere and he is nowhere to be found. I am worried that he got taken by a predator that came over to get out of the cold. It will be 86 tomorrow and I am going to water so I hope if he is in the garden and awake, he will come out to see what is going on. I got a little female two days ago as well. She will winter in her own little area on the patio and move to a bigger area in the spring.