my boys are maaaaaddddd

Status
Not open for further replies.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southwest Washington
And I know w/o a doubt that our winter yard in the PNW will definitely not match the Steppes blanketed with snow...
Nice summary, Angela, and it sounds as if it works very well for you (other than having to be mean, lol).

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
ascott said:
I am loving all the stories and pics...Fernando is quite handsome :D

I do live here in the high desert, relatively near the Mojave...and all of my guys were at one time or another wild (I know that my Ghamara was 100% ripped from the wild) not captive bred whatsoever.

I did try to let them do their thing during fall/winter for past years...and they did fine---went under one day and stayed under till the weather turned nice for a few consecutive days---however, the last couple of years has had tremendous rain coupled with really cold weather, so this year I am going to let them go to sleep as they do on their own-- slow down/slowly lose interest in food/prep themselves and their yards to do what comes to them naturally...and then I will swoop them up and bring them in for the winter sleep, they each have their own dirt brown color rubbermaid all lined up in a dark quiet closet in my converted garage each having a warm soft towel in and under their box...so while not warm and toasty, certainly no rain/wind/critters sleeping with them/no freezing weather, yet to sleep as their body tells these guys to do....also, I am able to satisfy what appears to be natural to their internal clock and also keep my sanity knowing that they are safe and will not lose anyone...if I notice one of them acting "funny" I can simply warm em up and bring them out for the remainder of the season and nurse/comfort their needs...I would not allow a burrowing tortoise in my care to do it outdoor again and the only reason is that while I might think a part of the yard is choice for a tortoise yard...the choice they would have "naturally" in the desert would likely not match that of even my best spot on the property....IMHO :D:D

Well I see you do live near the Mojave Desert (right on the edge of it actually.) :p Can't blame you there. :D It is a little warmer here in Alhambra during the winter months. If yours would ever like to take a winter vacation they can come and stay at our house with Fernando. ;)

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Bakersfield, California
Candy, Lou and Fernando are spoiled twins!!! LOL!!! I love the pictures so cute. I really love the sleeping pictures, look so warm and toasty and comfortable!!!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
LOL Candy.....thanks forfor the offer....however my boys are a rowdy bunch (except for the old man) and they would be ramming and flipping one another and likely would influence Fernando to do the same....LOL..They are each 100% all male CDT....love em :D this is why they each have their own outdoor yards ....bunch of hulligens ...... old man Humphry use to be housed with my other guy Herman when they were with prior host....and Herman would get crazy once in awhile...this one time old man Humph was chilling minding his own business (he is so mellow) and Herman was too...then out of nowhere Herman raises up on all 4s and straight rushed Humph and tucked his head in right when he got to Humph and flipped that big ole boy straight onto his back...hell, it took Humph a minute to realize he was even flipped cause he was still asleep when I ran to turn him back over and he only woke up after I had flipped him back over....not nice, but funny just the same...Herman is like my land shark...LOL

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Yeah they do sound like a rowdy bunch. :D How old are they? Do you have any that are around 14 years of age? I can tell that Fernando would learn lots of new things from them and probably get himself grounded by mom. :p

B

byerssusan

Candy said:
Torty Mom said:
lynnedit said:
Oh, my, that is way, way too cute an image. Does he have a 'tort' door?
Is your whole back yard tort safe?
Haven't quite gotten there with my husband yet.....:rolleyes:

I am his tort door, sometimes it's in and out, in and out. Yes, he has full rein of the yard, I have a little fence around my garden otherwise he would just help himself to the all day buffet!!! My hubby loves Lou and the other torts, he was like most in the beginning, whatever......... what can a tortoise do.....well Lou loves my hubby and follows him around like a puppy, so my hubby is smitten too! We often sit at the patio eating dinner or what ever and watch Lou tromping around and we let the babies cruise as well, they are harder to keep track of, the yard isn't safe enough for them they are too small still. It is so nice to sit back and relax and enjoy him.

Actually it's a doggy door but he knows where the light comes from. He also knows that it leads out to the backyard where all of the weeds are. Yes, ours is enclosed so he can't get out. On this day I found them all waiting by the back door. It was too cute not to get a picture of.

DSC03154.jpg

And here is Fernando in his Rubbermaid tub at night loving his heat.
This is the cutest picture of his face, I just love it.

DSC02182-1.jpg

He seems so happy like this I couldn't let him get cold. ;) Oh and by the way, yes he is spoiled rotten. :D :p

DSC02184-1.jpg

That is just too too cute. All of them waiting at the door. And yeah looks like that tort is one spoiled toroise! Thats wonderful..Love the pics

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Candy, old man Humph is well over that and Herman as well (40+) and the other two are likely around 15 and 20....but since I have not had them since hatchling stage, there is no absolute way to know :D

Yeah, I hear stories here about peoples meek, calm CDTs and I laugh really hard, because other than the old man Humph....the lot of mine are rowdy :D:D But I would not want them any other way....

Ghamara is the most interesting to observe (he was ripped from the wild out in barstow'ish area by a stupid idiot person ugh!!!) as he has so many wild characteristics....my favorite is this spin thing that breaks your heart when you startle him but is also so fascinating to observe...if you walk up on him without letting him see or feel you coming, if he becomes startled he will pull all of his legs and head into his shell and will blow all the air out fast and then kick part of his back foot out ever so little, like a toenail or two just enough to get leverage and he will then spin himself really fast, kicking up dirt, making grinding noises with his shell and blowing air out-- all so fast then as he is spinning he will slam his foot out and thrust himself literally into his burrow.....and while I feel so bad I can't stop myself from smiling and see how they can surprise something by this action....and after, if I drag my feet as I continue to approach his burrow, I will knock on the ground at the entrance he creeps back up and has this look on his face like "whew, I sure am glad to see you...I was almost eaten" bless his little heart.:p:p:p:p:p

Status
Not open for further replies.