My turtle

barroncourtney45

5 Year Member
I have a male Easter Box Turtle. My turtle is doing just fine in his habitat now but i was wondering what are some things box turtles might like having in their environment. Anything from food to bedding to decorations. I am currently in the process of beginning to build a tortoise table for him. :) Very happy about that. :tort:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Courteney:

No, Bubbles is actually a female ornata. Some females have red eyes, but the red you see on a male's eyes is much more vivid than the red you are seeing on Bubbles' eyes. Also, the pattern on an eastern's carapace is similar to a backwards 'E', while the pattern on the ornata's carapace is a star burst, just like Bubbles' pattern.

I use real plants in my box turtle habitats. They don't actually "like" or dislike anything. It just makes a more pleasing and interesting habitat if you add things to break up the 'open space' monotony.

Saleama

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Irving Texas
In my table, I have a swimming pool made from a paint tray, two large hides made from a huge protein powder bottle cut into halves that I covered in dirt to form a second level, and a bunch of house plants I bought at home depot. I like ones that are bushy and vines that spread out. The turtles seem to take it or leave it but I do see them climbing in them and hiding under them on occassion. They tend to dig under the plants so I have to either move them or just let them try and survive with a turtle tunnel underneath their roots.

Just make sure your little gal have a place to swim and a place to sun and gets to cool off at night in total darkness. You also need to give her enough substrate to dig and completly bury herself. A good rule of thumb is two to three inches deeper than her shell is tall. Hurry up and post some pictures! Good luck and welcome!