My Tort is very active but won't eat!

Lucy Stalone

I've been trying to feed my newly acquired tortoise fresh kale, shredded carrots, and cucumbers. He's very active, but won't go for any of it. Is he okay? Possibly too busy looking for a female to eat? Possibly still in shock from being newly adopted? Any answers would be appreciated!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
What kind of tortoise is it? Do you have the proper temps and what are they? They need to bask under a 95-100 basking light to properly digest their food. Also try a bigger variety which is needed anyway.

Lucy Stalone

What kind of tortoise is it? Do you have the proper temps and what are they? They need to bask under a 95-100 basking light to properly digest their food. Also try a bigger variety which is needed anyway.
he is a Russian, and has a desert basking light. I'm trying Timothy hay now!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Russian tortoises won't eat hay of any kind. They eat broad-leaf weeds and plants. The kale is ok, but not the carrots and cucumber. Try escarole and endive, and edible weeds.

ParisBloom

London, UK
Hiya Lucy,

Welcome to the forums. My two Russians are feeding on a mix of - Dandelion, Hawkbit, Ribwort Plantain, sow thistle, rose petals, Aeonium. They love all of those, plus there are loads more weeds/wild flowers you can add. Just that these are in season here in London. :)

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Hi Lucy,

Just wanting to confirm you've read our Russian tortoise care sheet? It will help you identify foods he will eat, that are good for him.

Shaggy99

Well, like if you just got him then the stress of having a new home might cause him to lose his appetite. And not eating for a few days really won't be that big of a problem for an animal that can go like 2 years without food.