My sulcatas are doing great

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kingman, Arizona
I've got three Sulcatas and 6 Russians.
This should cancel out 9 help my tort is sick posts.

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Middle of nowhere
Haha, I like that you posted this in "debatable topics" as if it could be debatable that your sulcatas are doing great.... Well, I argue that your sulcatas are doing terrible, so there :p :p

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
I wanted to counter all the sick tort posts we get so we can get a clearer picture. I got this from the posting below, “to breed or not to breed".

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I have a sulcata that I've had for about 15 years. He's doing great! Sorry, but I don't have any baby sulcatas to make this a more real comparison.

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
This is good news, Ken. I have a 2 1/2 year old sulcata that is doing good also. In the 2 years that I have kept him I have gone from dropping a few bits of food in his enclosure, hoping he would eat it, to sitting next to him in his outdoor pen while he devours 1/2 pound of chow. Today was Mazuri day. He had 1 1/2 oz of Mazuri, a small cactus pad, 4 oz of timothy grass, some plantain and dandelion, and then polished off the last of his mulberry leaves. Once finished he marched back in his night box to end his day.

Yellow Turtle

5 Year Member
Indonesia
I don't own a sulcata and probably will never will so I can't share anything great about sulcata. But I like this thread, because I believe people need to share more of what have been done to their torts to make them growing great.

M

Maggie Cummings

Cowboy_Ken said:
I've got three Sulcatas and 6 Russians.
This should cancel out 9 help my tort is sick posts.

That's great Ken. One of these days we'll have to get together and meet each others animals...
Bob is adjusting to the weather just fine. All my animals are doing well...

LunaLupus

5 Year Member
I too have a sulcata that is doing great! He's slowly but surely gaining weight. :)

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
image-3128229002.png

Still doing great and growing smooth and strong.

What? No picture? Here it is. As well as my pancake.

image-1391308591.png

image-555762351.png

You know you're doing somethings right when you have to keep enlarging the humid hide entrance.

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
Beautiful sulcata. I had that same problem with the himid hide opening.

KingInCulver

5 Year Member
Southern California
Great thread. My sully is doing well, I just upgraded his hide but not too big because them he won't go in there.

Attachments

• image-109813509.png
    image-109813509.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 28
  • image-342798094.png
    image-342798094.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 22

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
@KingofCulver
I prefer a humid hide for my little guy. Sphagnum moss kept moist. He heads in 45-60 minutes before lights out. And it has the added bonus of peace of mind he is staying well hydrated during that time. : )

And I'm glad he's doing well also. This helps the balance.

KingInCulver

5 Year Member
Southern California
Thanks for the comment cowboy, his whole enclosure actually keeps an ambient humidity of 80-90% so it is humid in there too, I have sensors on each end. But I am making plans for his outdoor one when he gets bigger and have the moss at the ready! I am curious tho- do you find that it molds or smells?

Only because I've never used it before. How do you think it would fare when I move him outdoors for longer periods?

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
I've had no problems with mold at all. Most peat moss is sphagnum moss decomposed. Slightly acidic, it is some what mold repellent. Outdoors it will naturally dry faster simply due to the uncontrolled environment. I would bury it for the most part outdoors. With my older/ bigger sucatas, I just use a couple 3' 12x12's with a chunk of plywood over them to make a shade between/under. They use it and still receive some reflective UV. I'm in Oregon, so I need to take advantage of all the natural uv I can get. My shade may end up being too hot for the southern states. Also when I water the outdoor pen, I really hose done the area under the hide.

My enclosure is also a fully enclosed one with higher humidity. So I guess the hide is a humid enclosure squared. (2)

Status
Not open for further replies.