What multivitamin should I use for baby sulcatas that are outside

yyuzu_1

Location (City and/or State)
Nevada
So Im about to buy 2 baby sulcatas about 6 weeks old and I need to know what Vitamins and Calcium I should get for them because I've read sources that you shouldnt give them supplements that have D3 if they are going to be outside and some say its fine to give them supplements with D3 and I need some confirmation with someone that is a professional or experienced with taking care of Sulcatas

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Baby sulcatas should not be housed outside. They need a closed chamber with high, 80% humidity and temps day and night no lower than 80 and basking spot 95-100. Tortoises also should not be housed in pairs. Hatchlings you might get away with pairs for a while but you must watch closely for bullying.
When they reach the 10 inch mark, in 2 or 3 years, they can be moved outside.
Until then short visits outside for half hour and upto an hour in a year or so.

yyuzu_1

Nevada
Baby sulcatas should not be housed outside. They need a closed chamber with high, 80% humidity and temps day and night no lower than 80 and basking spot 95-100. Tortoises also should not be housed in pairs. Hatchlings you might get away with pairs for a while but you must watch closely for bullying.

yyuzu_1

Nevada
So it wont make a difference if I spray repeatedly in their tub outside and I live in Nevada so sometimes it gets up to 112°F

yyuzu_1

Nevada
Would they try and hurt one another even if I keep them away from each other but let them slowly bond?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
112 is too hot for babies. They do much better in a closed chamber. It really won't work spraying as well as a closed chamber. Controlling the heat and humidity is a must at the young stage to grow a smooth healthy tort.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Would they try and hurt one another even if I keep them away from each other but let them slowly bond?
Tortoises do not bond. They live alone and are very happy to. They only are together to breed or fight.
If you end up with 2 females, you might be able to keep them together when they are big enough to live outside but only in a very big yard, with lots of sight barriers.

yyuzu_1

Nevada
Tortoises do not bond. They live alone and are very happy to. They only are together to breed or fight.
If you end up with 2 females, you might be able to keep them together when they are big enough to live outside but only in a very big yard, with lots of sight barriers.
Ah yes I'm trying to buy 2 female sulcatas but its going to be hard to tell what gender they are since they are babies

yyuzu_1

Nevada
112 is too hot for babies. They do much better in a closed chamber. It really won't work spraying as well as a closed chamber. Controlling the heat and humidity is a must at the young stage to grow a smooth healthy tort.
So from what Im understanding is to not keep them outside but I can let them walk around and as they are inside I need to keep the humidity at 80% as well with the basking spot at 90-100 and I should get Multivitamin and Calcium with D3, and its ok to keep two female sulcatas together since they arent territorial.
Also another thing is it ok to keeo the basking light on during the day and turn off the heat lamps during the night? Or do I need to keep the night heat lamp on

TeamZissou

Albuquerque, NM
In terms of vitamins, the only one to use is Rep Cal Herptivite.

Here's the care info for sulcatas. Congrats on the torts. It's a huge commitment to get sulcatas.

yyuzu_1

Nevada
In terms of vitamins, the only one to use is Rep Cal Herptivite.

Here's the care info for sulcatas. Congrats on the torts. It's a huge commitment to get sulcatas.

So Rep Cal Herptivite is basically their vitamin and calcium together?

TeamZissou

Albuquerque, NM
It does contain calcium, in about a 2:1 Calcium to phosphorus ratio. It's an especially safe vitamin in that it does not contain supplemental vitamin A, which is bad for tortosies. You can buy a pure calcium carbonate supplement, with or without vitamin D3. If they have access to UVB, with D3 isn't necessary. Ultimately though, it's best not to overdo it with calcium. Once or twice a week rubbed into the food is sufficient.

If I were you I would only get one, or more than three. They do not do well in pairs and one will end up being smaller due to bullying and chronic stress. They will be very large in only a few years.

Reactions: KT1

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Ah yes I'm trying to buy 2 female sulcatas but its going to be hard to tell what gender they are since they are babies
Yes, it's actually impossible as they all look female when young. Also temp sex incubated is not a guarantee and neither is extra scutes.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
So from what Im understanding is to not keep them outside but I can let them walk around and as they are inside I need to keep the humidity at 80% as well with the basking spot at 90-100 and I should get Multivitamin and Calcium with D3, and its ok to keep two female sulcatas together since they arent territorial.
Also another thing is it ok to keeo the basking light on during the day and turn off the heat lamps during the night? Or do I need to keep the night heat lamp on
Kinda right. Two females might be able to live together in a very large outdoor area. While they are young and inside, you have to watch for bullying, it comes in many forms, and be prepared to seperate them if it happens.
You got yhe inside enclosure right, but make sure it's an enclosed chamber enclosure. Lights off at night. No red or blue bulbs and no coil type bulbs. Use florescent bulb for uvb and lighting and radiant heat panels or ceramic heat emitters for heat. Temp at night must stay the same as the day temp except the basking spot. The ceramic heat emitters give off heat but no light and the same goes for the radiant heat panels.
Be sure to read the caresheet that was linked for you.