My stars back legs are peeling...

Status
Not open for further replies.

SILVERSTAR

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
sacramento california
At first it almost looked as if there was bruising on his back legs and then a few days later the back legs started peelin. if it was a bruise i have no idea how it woulda occured becuz ive been treating my baby star with the most sensitive of care welcoming,im a tattoo artist in sacramento so i work when i want to and i make time for my tortoise and do alotta nite sessions jus so that i can be there to monitor it all,i dont know wut it could be,he is only five months old and i plan on having this tortoise until one of us goes,lol

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Has the tortoise received an injection of Vitamins? Especially Vit.A?

SILVERSTAR

5 Year Member
sacramento california
yes i do soak everyday now,but i was told to soak him every three day at first but upon doing more research i decided to everyday,and since hes been with me i havent injected anything but i dust his food with calcium and i got vitamin supplements but i havent actually seen him eat that its like little soft blocks of vitamin an calcium from natuze zone i beleive, i drove yesterday to three different pet stores looking for more mazuri becuz he came with a small amount and jus ran out,guess i gotta order it,he really seems to like that,

jobeanator

10 Year Member!
northern new york
id make sure to defently soak him daily. whats your lighting? heat is also very vital to star tortoises, they are very sensitive to temperature and get respiratory infections. but in my opnion, i have a sri lankan star tortoises, and ive had him since he was a couple months old and hes done good and i live in ny where winters are brutal. make sure you feed him a good diet, spring mix is good for them during months you cant bring them out. if he stops eating, and looks lethargic defently take him to a vet since their health declines rapidly.

SILVERSTAR

5 Year Member
sacramento california
my lighting? Well first i will tell you how my set up is,i got him in a big rubbermaid box,i also keep my toads in boxes jus like these,i built a stand for my 55 gal and i got spacious shelfs built into the stand and i installed t-5 flourescent strip lights and i also have a basking lamp on one corner of his pen and to hide boxes one i built of wood and the other is a humid tupperware container with a hole cut and spagnum moss in it,i use paper towel mostly for substrate but i grow a number of grasses that i cutt up and use for bedding,he isnt lethargic or anything and he eats great jus had a lil peeling,i got a lil under tank heater,its not cold yet here in cali butit will be so im prepared to get sum more heatin sources.

i meant to say two hide boxes

jobeanator

10 Year Member!
northern new york
make sure he has a hot spot and cool spot for your star. i have his hot spot, around 90 degrees constant from 7am-7pm. and his cooler spot is from 80-85 degrees. from the breeder i bought my star from, he said moistened paper towels are good and i use them and he seems to not mind it. eventually when mines older i will switch it to cypress mulch. what do you use for lighting?

SILVERSTAR

5 Year Member
sacramento california
yeah paper towels have many uses,i use em alot for my toads,for lighting like i said i got a t-5 flourescent strip installed over head and a 75 watt basking clamp light, you think its ok?

Status
Not open for further replies.