my redfoots are gay

Status
Not open for further replies.

turtlehead

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Memphis
I know the title sounds weird, but it's true. I have 2 male redfoots that are about 10" long. The smaller of the 2 "tries?" to breed the other male, who just stands there and lets him. They've been doing this routine for a while now (several months maybe). The clucking and all...
Is this a coming of age behavior or are they just confused? I have confirmed they are indeed both male. I've seen their "packages" myself.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Its a dominance thing. Funny that its the smaller one, though. That just goes to show that how big the tortoise is doesn't really matter. In your case, the larger tortoise is the more submissive tortoise and the smaller one is just showing him who's the boss of the habitat. Females do it too.

Yvonne

turtlehead

5 Year Member
Memphis
I have an even larger female, who neither of them seem interested in. She is the most submissive out of all of them.

Redfootedboxturtles

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Yvonne said females do it to. My Big female redfoot is the big boss of the pen. I thought how could she be a she if all she does is mount all the others , its kinda funny.

Whats going on with yours shouldnt be an all day every day thing. If it is your pen may be to small. Try having a lot of hidding spots in a large pen.

M

Maggie Cummings

Last summer my big Sulcata tried numerous times to mate with the cinderblock in his pen...I don't mind that so much, but the grunting noise kinda gets to me...

turtlehead

5 Year Member
Memphis
lol. Thanks guys. It's not an all day every day thing, maybe a couple of times a week. It always catches me off guard.

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
Like the others said, this is common (although disturbing at first!) behavior. Females without a male present, will often mount each other and even cluck like males...just not as loudly. When females are doing this it is a good time to introduce a male.

Status
Not open for further replies.