Breeding Redfoots and proper m/f ratio

SaltLakeReptiles

I may be getting a group of redfoots 4 females and 1 male. Would the 1 male be able to successfully breed that many females long term or would I need another male to add to the group. What group sizes have you had success with?

Also, I was wondering what kind of clutch sizes and hatch rates do you guys get and what size are your females.

For example if I have two 14" females around what size clutch could I possibly get from a female that size on average. Then the other 2 females at 12.5" and 13".

I know each female and even locales will vary. I'm just interested to hear about everyone's redfoots and what to expect!

I look forward to reading the replies!

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK Sheffield
1 male will quite easily cope with 4 females.
At 12.5" and bigger your females are capable of laying eggs.
Clutch sizes vary a lot. Mine lay anything between 3 and 10 eggs per clutch. The clutch size doesn't seem to vary much for each female in my instance. For example my 2 Brazilians lay 3 eggs everytime, I have one northern that always lays 9 or 10 smaller eggs and the rest of my northerns lay 5 or 6 slightly bigger eggs. I don't know if in time all my females will start to lay bigger clutches as they mature more.

Redfool

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Central Florida
I keep 3 females and 1 male. The females lay clutches of 5 to 6 eggs up to 5 times per year. All of my rfs are in their early 20's. Breeding is spring and summer, usually in the rain. Egg laying is Aug thru Feb. Hatch rate is 60 to 70 % at 85 degrees and takes
on average 120 days. In August I dig holes to loosen the soil in their pen to make digging easier. They use these spots about half the time. Hope they produce for you

SaltLakeReptiles

1 male will quite easily cope with 4 females.
At 12.5" and bigger your females are capable of laying eggs.
Clutch sizes vary a lot. Mine lay anything between 3 and 10 eggs per clutch. The clutch size doesn't seem to vary much for each female in my instance. For example my 2 Brazilians lay 3 eggs everytime, I have one northern that always lays 9 or 10 smaller eggs and the rest of my northerns lay 5 or 6 slightly bigger eggs. I don't know if in time all my females will start to lay bigger clutches as they mature more.

Ok good to know! I just wanted to make sure he'd be able to breed all of them. That's a lot of women for one guy haha! I'm excited to see how they produce

SaltLakeReptiles

I keep 3 females and 1 male. The females lay clutches of 5 to 6 eggs up to 5 times per year. All of my rfs are in their early 20's. Breeding is spring and summer, usually in the rain. Egg laying is Aug thru Feb. Hatch rate is 60 to 70 % at 85 degrees and takes
on average 120 days. In August I dig holes to loosen the soil in their pen to make digging easier. They use these spots about half the time. Hope they produce for you

Thank you very much and thanks for the good information! I hope I get some babies from them.

Emily Deshar

Hope it's ok to piggyback off your thread.. I was curious about breeding mine in the future, but I'm worried I won't be able to sell enough of them.
Do you guys get a lot of interested buyers? Or are you stuck with a lot of the babies? I would love to have tons of redfoots, but not too many to house..