My redfoot family

pfara

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
The substrate is pretty odorless unless I put in a fresh batch of coco coir. The real odors come from tortoise butt and Tuna Tuesdays. Just kidding.. they get tuna maybe once or twice a month. But those are the days when the food needs to be removed after an hour. Almost all of the tuna is eaten (their favorite treat) but what tiny particles are left smell horrid if left unchecked. And to be honest, I don't spot check daily. You can probably spot hatchling sized turds that are days old lingering in the enclosure. And nope, they don't smell.. sometimes.

I started back at the beginning of the thread and I felt like I just grew up with your tortoises over the past (almost) two years of their lives :) One of the things I love about the planted enclosures (except the look of them) is the ease of maintenance when compared to using other substrates that aren't planted. I know you still spot clean daily and I am sure that helps a lot too, but does the enclosure have an odor to it at all? From what I have heard they don't really smell but it would be nice to hear from you on this.

Kleinmann_Fan

5 Year Member
I've never kept red foots or yellow foots, and for that reason I don't spend a lot of time on this section of the forums, but wow, this thread is amazing!
That is some top notch tortoise keeping.
The growth of these animals is stunning, and that table is second to none!
I like to be inspired by other keepers, and their high standards of husbandry, and I feel this thread deserves to be seen as a 'how to' thread in regards to this species.
I look forward to many future updates.

john

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
Thanks so much, John! I'm no where near all those "experienced" keepers, but I still strive to provide a high level of care that these creatures deserve. They have helped me as much as I try to help them. Thanks again :D

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
Whatever you think you lack in experience, you more than make up for in attention to detail.
Now you've got me wanting some red foots!

John

I suggest Allegraf for Cherryheads if ever you feel the itch. At this point in time, I can't add to my collection. But if I could, she'd be my go-to person. At least I can always refer others to her.. she produces the most out-of-this-world colorful cherryheads that I've ever seen (that or she's really good at altering photos :p)

KTyne

5 Year Member
Chilliwack, BC
That is completely adorable! Happy Birthday little Tort!

Question, what substrate do you use in your enclosure? I just found out that I am going to have to switch mine already since I chose a bad substrate (peat moss), and I want a substrate that will be good for plants to grow in too. :)
Thanks!

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
That is completely adorable! Happy Birthday little Tort!

Question, what substrate do you use in your enclosure? I just found out that I am going to have to switch mine already since I chose a bad substrate (peat moss), and I want a substrate that will be good for plants to grow in too. :)
Thanks!

Peat moss isn't a bad substrate. I've read that one of the reasons that gardeners choose coco coir over peat moss is that peat moss tends to shrink.

All types of acceptable types of substrate come with its own pros and cons. For this reason, I made areas with different media. When I first started out, I made the first half out of cypress mulch but had a very large bin within the enclosure that was a coco coir/top soil mix. I also had mounds of sphagnum moss around the perimeter. Most of the plants in the cypress section had to be in pots (mulch tends to take all the nitrogen away from plants as it decomposes from what I've read). When I opened up the other half, the substrate was a mix of soil less mix, top soil, coco coir and cypress mulch. I'm able to plant directly into that area. The soil less mix is called Nature's care. I made a thread about it which I'll have to find and link. Again, sphagnum moss is eventually mixed into everything from being dragged around.

Here's the link: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-want-safe-planting-soil.88412/

Robber

10 Year Member!
MO, USA
Peat moss isn't a bad substrate. I've read that one of the reasons that gardeners choose coco coir over peat moss is that peat moss tends to shrink.

All types of acceptable types of substrate come with its own pros and cons. For this reason, I made areas with different media. When I first started out, I made the first half out of cypress mulch but had a very large bin within the enclosure that was a coco coir/top soil mix. I also had mounds of sphagnum moss around the perimeter. Most of the plants in the cypress section had to be in pots (mulch tends to take all the nitrogen away from plants as it decomposes from what I've read). When I opened up the other half, the substrate was a mix of soil less mix, top soil, coco coir and cypress mulch. I'm able to plant directly into that area. The soil less mix is called Nature's care. I made a thread about it which I'll have to find and link. Again, sphagnum moss is eventually mixed into everything from being dragged around.

Here's the link: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-want-safe-planting-soil.88412/

For a moment there I thought you were implying that you could arrange things the enclosure and they wouldn't get moved and shoved around every which way...but then you started making sense. :)

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
For a moment there I thought you were implying that you could arrange things the enclosure and they wouldn't get moved and shoved around every which way...but then you started making sense. :)

With all the bulldozing and butt rubbing and dragging food everywhere, there's no way anything in the enclosure will stay clean. Sometimes i would catch my cork flats moving and find them bumped up against a plant somewhere else later. My apologies if I made it confusing.

Last edited:

DutchieAmanda

5 Year Member
Netherlands
Congratulations, nice cake!
Do I understand correctly she is 2 years old and 43 oz? Then my Pixel is a dwarf compared to Loki!

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
Congratulations, nice cake!
Do I understand correctly she is 2 years old and 43 oz? Then my Pixel is a dwarf compared to Loki!

Pixel is no dwarf.. Loki's just a freak of nature. Yes, Loki just turned 2 years old, almost 8" scl, and over 2.5 lbs. I'll post everyone's 2 year stats once they all get there.

DutchieAmanda

5 Year Member
Netherlands
Pixel is no dwarf.. Loki's just a freak of nature. Yes, Loki just turned 2 years old, almost 8" scl, and over 2.5 lbs. I'll post everyone's 2 year stats once they all get there.

Haha thanks, this makes me feel much better!