7yr old, 6in tortoise? Not anymore!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RuthieHurry

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Houston Area, Texas
Here's an update on Stashu, from a thread in September. He weighed 1lb, 8 1/4 oz and was 6 inches long when we adopted him in September. He's been growing like a weed (lol) and now weighs 2lbs, 13 oz and is 7 3/4 inches long!

Here's a pic of him enjoying the weather, and a rose, with Franky:

IMAG0654.jpg

RuthieHurry

5 Year Member
Houston Area, Texas
Thank you, I think they are :)
The three of them had a very exciting morning, grubbing, bathing and mudding:

IMAG0653.jpg

And now they are taking an afternoon nap in their makeshift hide:

IMAG0655.jpg

I'm sure they'll be back out to terrorize the yard again soon!

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Great growth...

I have one of those spray bottles, I just got it a few days ago and I am very happy with it...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Looks like something you are doing agrees with Stashu. Nice work. Looks like you have plenty of yard space for whenever you do build an enclosure.

RuthieHurry

5 Year Member
Houston Area, Texas
@Laura: Actually yes, I do just sit here and watch them all day. Even took a vacation day tomorrow, so I can do the same :)

@dmarcus: For sure, these spray bottles rock! I love the trigger that locks. I keep my indoor enclosure very humid with that feature!

@Tom: We're buidling a mobile enclosure for outside, and once we move we'll be building 3 enclosures so that we can rotate them.

Texastort

10 Year Member!
He is looking great! Congrats Ruthie, he has come a long way!

Katherine

5 Year Member
Very nice. I especially love the first shot, very lady-and-the-trampesque! I too use a mobile enclosure for my young tortoises and rotate through multiple pastures for the bigger kids, been working great for us so far. It gives the ground some time to recover, allows you to seed when they are not in there, and just provides a nice change in terrain and grazing selection. Goodluck building!

RuthieHurry

5 Year Member
Houston Area, Texas
Katherine, I'd love to hear / see what you use. We were thinking a set of simple square boxes. I think he said two by six boards? Then we can move around for optimum shade and sun combos. We already have makeshift hides and plants that we move around outside, but you burn A LOT of calories keeping an eye on these guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.