My red river cooter

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
I've had this guy since he was a hatchling. I remember exactly where I caught him as a hatchling. He was and still is the prettiest river cooter I've ever seen. Pictures don't do him justice. His red is much more apparent in person. If he ever had some albino offspring they would be show stoppers! Lol (@Gerards)ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1400944135.298042.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1400944148.071469.jpg

juli11

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Europe
I never know the American trivial names. So could you please give me the scientific name? Is it a kind of pseudemys?

juli11

5 Year Member
Europe
Ok thank you. P. concinna is popular here. But I never saw a turtle of this species which have so brilliant colours like yours!

Yellow Turtle

5 Year Member
Indonesia
The river cooter really has very nice color. I never see one like that before.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Very pretty. Look those red color.....

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
It's pseudomys Concinna, though narrowing down an exact variation is impossible in Louisiana due to the incredible richness of genetic variation down here. I've seen every single possible coloration/pattern/shape etc. associated with pseudomys Concinna all inhabiting the exact same bayous.

Even within the same clutch of eggs you can get incredible different looking hatchlings.

Thanks for the compliments everyone . Pictures don't capture how beautiful and striking he really is