My new tort!

Status
Not open for further replies.

srkarpen

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Tucson, AZ
Hey TortoiseForum!

I just got my first Russian tort yesterday and I'm pretty excited. I've attached some pictures of my little guy and his housing as it is right now, I do have some plans for his home in the near future. His name is Yortoise. I've done a ton of research and reading on raising a tortoise and I'm pretty confident I am doing everything I need to be doing for him.

He is definitely a bit smaller and presumably younger than I was originally planning on. I was going to get one that was about 2.5-3 inches but when I went to the friendly neighborhood reptile shop this little guy came running right to me. He is a bit bigger than an inch now, maybe 1.5" or so.

As far as I've been able to find the only difference between raising a little tort and an older one is they are more susceptible to dehydration. I've made sure to keep his home a bit more humid and kept his basking temp closer to the 90-95 ranger rather than the 95-100 range. I have been soaking him for about 15-20 minutes every other day as well. Do you guys think this is all appropriate?

I'm also curious about your opinions on calcium supplements for him. A lot of sources say its recommended especially for growing torts but guys at the shop say they don't use it and haven't had any problems without. I know babies sometimes need the extra calcium to help them grow healthily. I don't have a cuttle bone in there just yet but I will in the next few days. What are your opinions on the matter?

Other than that, I'm unbelievably excited to join this community. I've wanted a tortoise for a very long time and I've been gushing tortoise cuteness since I picked Yortoise up yesterday! If you have any advice or other bits of information about a raising a young tortoise let me know!

Attachments

• tort 1.jpg
    tort 1.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 74
  • tort 2.jpg
    tort 2.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 72
  • tort 3.jpg
    tort 3.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 77

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome, srkarpen!

I'm very surprised that a pet shop had a hatchling for sale. They're usually pretty stringent about the 4" rule.

Your new little tortoise is very cute.

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
Wowzers! It's TINY! Very cute. You are lucky you found it. Good luck, others will come along to help soon.

wpeltola

5 Year Member
Indiana
Awwwe, that is sure a cute little tort you have there !!

Everybody has their own ideas on supplements, but I keep it pretty basic. The only power is use is Carolina Pet Supply's Tortoise TNT Powder (which has some calcium in it) and have a cuddle bone available for those occasional calcium binges they get.

This is the best stuff you can start your RT on - http://www.carolinapetsupply.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=58

- BP

srkarpen

5 Year Member
Tucson, AZ
emysemys said:
Welcome, srkarpen!

I'm very surprised that a pet shop had a hatchling for sale. They're usually pretty stringent about the 4" rule.

Your new little tortoise is very cute.

I'm in Arizona. I wasn't ever clear if the 4" rule existed here. It seemed most of the babies from this place were close to 3 inches than 4. Oh well. The shop wasn't entirely certain on a birthday. Definitely from a breeder here but they didn't know the date. Any general idea how old he may be just based on size? I was honking a few weeks at most maybe? But what do I know!

Alan RF

5 Year Member
United Kingdom
So tiny and cute! I would say It's a good sign when you see them moving about their enclosure when you buy them.

srkarpen

5 Year Member
Tucson, AZ
Alan RF said:
So tiny and cute! I would say It's a good sign when you see them moving about their enclosure when you buy them.

He's been very very active at home too :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Its definitely a hatchling, probably under 6 months or younger.

And the 4" rule is a federal rule, not state-by-state.

srkarpen

5 Year Member
Tucson, AZ
emysemys said:
Its definitely a hatchling, probably under 6 months or younger.

And the 4" rule is a federal rule, not state-by-state.

Well I guess lucky me I was able to get my hands on him. Good to know I guess.

srkarpen

5 Year Member
Tucson, AZ
Eweezyfosheezy said:
Welcome to the forum! Always glad to see other people from AZ join. What part of AZ are you in?

I'm from Scottsdale but im currently grad student in Tucson

ColorfulTortoise

5 Year Member
New England
What an adorable little tort you have there! :) He's beautiful! I have a Russian tortoise named Shorty. Russians are lots of fun to watch eat. They are little pigs. Enjoy your new tortoise!

Status
Not open for further replies.