Help new tort??

Leonajward

Location (City and/or State)
Newcastle
83852118-4838-4010-8C40-65DDEE3D7E7E.jpeg 4AB0C3FC-9F86-4F63-AA95-ED3450F76A7B.jpeg my tortoise Alfie is 5 in may he is a boy for sure and is so low maintenance has free range of the house and garden whenever he wants. However I went to the pet shop the other day to buy him a new bed/half a log as he is too tall for his and saw a baby tortoise waiting to be bought and I really want one! Although my little horsefield tort always comes first so I need to know if Alfie will be okay with it? Or will it cause problems I’ve read mixed opinions and I’m really unsure. I don’t want to do anything to harm Alfie however I do really want to give another tort some love any advice will be helpful. I’m new here too so hi!

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Welcome to the forum! Never, ever put tortoises in pairs, especially Russians. Tortoises do not want friends, and it will cause massive amounts of stress for both tortoises.
Please compare your care with these-
Russian Tortoise Care Sheet
https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/Russian-Tortoise-Care-Sheet.80698/
Beginner Mistakes
https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/Beginner-Mistakes.45180/
This might be a good read too-
Why not to keep 2 tortoises together - a lesson learned the hard way
https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php...gether---a-lesson-learned-the-hard-way.94114/
Make sure that you are not letting your dog come in contact with your tort. They can spread disease to each other, and for some reason dogs seem to think that tortoises are delicious treats.
It’s great that you found us! I know the minute I joined, I was hooked :)

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Also, did you say that your tort roams your house? That is an invitation for disaster. It is too cold, he can be squished, he can eat something he shouldn’t, he can get lost, stepped on, stuck in a door, and more.
Your tort needs a large, secure enclosure that he can be kept in at all times, indoors or out.

Leonajward

Newcastle
Welcome to the forum! Never, ever put tortoises in pairs, especially Russians. Tortoises do not want friends, and it will cause massive amounts of stress for both tortoises.
Please compare your care with these-
Russian Tortoise Care Sheet
https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/Russian-Tortoise-Care-Sheet.80698/
Beginner Mistakes
https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/Beginner-Mistakes.45180/
This might be a good read too-
Why not to keep 2 tortoises together - a lesson learned the hard way
https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php...gether---a-lesson-learned-the-hard-way.94114/
Make sure that you are not letting your dog come in contact with your tort. They can spread disease to each other, and for some reason dogs seem to think that tortoises are delicious treats.
It’s great that you found us! I know the minute I joined, I was hooked :)
He’s a horsefield tortoise not Russian and thanks for the advice but he’s been around my dog for 5 years they don’t bother each other and nothings happened so far they love being with each other

Leonajward

Newcastle
Also, did you say that your tort roams your house? That is an invitation for disaster. It is too cold, he can be squished, he can eat something he shouldn’t, he can get lost, stepped on, stuck in a door, and more.
Your tort needs a large, secure enclosure that he can be kept in at all times, indoors or out.
He has an enclosure too he’s only roaming the house for a few hours each day everyone knows he’s out so won’t get stepped on there’s nothing for him to eat no wires or anything lying and he goes back into his enclosure for heat after 2 hours or so

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
He’s a horsefield tortoise not Russian and thanks for the advice but he’s been around my dog for 5 years they don’t bother each other and nothings happened so far they love being with each other

Horsefeild is another name for Russian. We hear story after story of the family dog turning against the tortoise. A few years ago, there was an elderly couple that had a tortoise for 15 years, that lived with the loving family dog for all of its life. They got along fine, and nothing ever happened. They went on a trip, leaving their dog and tortoise in the back yard. When they came back, the they found the tortoise with its arm chewed off up to the shoulder. Or did I tell it wrong, @Yvonne G ?
Do a search for dog attacks on the forum.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
He has an enclosure too he’s only roaming the house for a few hours each day everyone knows he’s out so won’t get stepped on there’s nothing for him to eat no wires or anything lying and he goes back into his enclosure for heat after 2 hours or so

We hear story after story of “We let him roam the floor to explore, and I turned my head for ______ seconds and ______ happened!”. We don’t want your tortoise to become another example.

Leonajward

Newcastle
We hear story after story of “We let him roam the floor to explore, and I turned my head for ______ seconds and ______ happened!”. We don’t want your tortoise to become another example.
I couldn’t keep him locked up all the time it would be cruel they’re never left alone together not even for a second there are 9 people in the house so someone is always watching them the dog has no interest in him but I would still never leave him alone he’s not downstairs all the time anyway

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
I couldn’t keep him locked up all the time it would be cruel they’re never left alone together not even for a second there are 9 people in the house so someone is always watching them the dog has no interest in him but I would still never leave him alone he’s not downstairs all the time anyway

It only takes one second for disaster to happen. Your tortoise needs his own enclosure, not one he shares with the dog.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Leonajward, welcome to this site.
You seem to be pretty happy with things just as they are and not really willing to take advice.
I sincerely wish you and your tortoise all the best of luck with your future together.
This is a very, very good site to have joined and the people here are very experienced and know what they are talking about.

Rusky

Allentown, Pennsylvania
I agree with everything said before, the risk is far too high. I think I remember reading about a disaster when someone's tortoise ate the foam insulating a pipe. They can also eat dog poop, which is not only disgusting but probably very dangerous. The temperatures are not right at all and to be honest I'm surprised you haven't lost him yet as Russians are so small. No mixing of species is okay. Please leave your tortoise in his enclosure, and if it is too small, build a larger one. Even in England (I moved to the USA less than two years ago), you can keep him in a dedicated outdoor enclosure for part of the year. Please can you show us some pictures of your indoor enclosure?

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
I couldn’t keep him locked up all the time it would be cruel

@Leonajward I can see you really care about your tortoise and want the best for him; we want the same thing. :)

Tortoises don’t have emotions like you and I, even though it can seem that way. They experience hunger and the desire to mate; both of tese things are what make them need to walk about.

Keeping a tortoise in an enclosure that is appropriately sized and secure isn’t cruel. He won’t get mad or sad or lonely, he’ll be safer and less stressed. Stress has a significant impact on your tortoise’s health over time; the signs may not be obvious to us humans but they are there.

I hope you will stay, show us pictures of your enclosure, and be open to our feedback. We want to help your tortoise to live a long, healthy life.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I think your main question was about getting another tortoise. By all means - if you want another tortoise, get another tortoise. Many of us have several. But the thing is, your tortoise doesn't want or need a 'friend,' so if you get another tortoise you will have to set up another separate enclosure for the new guy. They should never be put together. Tortoises are territorial and will chase other tortoises out of the territory. When the other tortoise can't get away, it causes much stress for both animals. Stress is not good for a tortoise.

Alex Z

5 Year Member
NYC
I have 4 beagles and a cat. My redfoots will never walk around my apartment. Please heed the warnings. Keep your tort secured in its enclosure.