Lazy Christmas Day Tort

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryantcarter

5 Year Member
Hi Guys!

First of all, Happy Christmas to all.

I'm a little worried about Barry. I've had him about a week now and he's been fine - up in the day basking, eating plenty, scraping the cuttle bone occasionally, running around my front room, bathing, pooing, weeing.

I have the basking light and UVB light on for about 12-13 hours a day and have his tort table about 20-25 degrees at night.

All day yesterday Barry was in his hide and didn't (or barely, I couldn't tell as it wilted) touch his food. He's been in there all night as well - I've just turned his light on and added some fresh radicchio, endive, escarole and a bit of salad cress but no stirring. :S

Is it likely he's trying to hibernate? Should I just keep waking him up and bathing him to try and snap him out of it?

Sorry for the Christmas day post! Ha I'm just worried about my little bezzie.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
Hello and Merry Christmas !!

What are the temperatures in his enclosure during the daytime? I read back through your prior post and see that you had him wood as his substrate? I would think that if you offer him dirt to muck into that he would appreciate that (I personally do not like the sand in an indoor enclosure or as a major part of an outdoor enclosure)

If your temps are good during the day and night then the sluggishness is likely due to the species you have and his evolutionary clock...

But you need to make sure first that all is set up correctly in your enclosure before suggesting a not to be concerned statement :D

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington

ryantcarter

5 Year Member
Hi guys, thanks for the replys.

It's been a couple of days and Barry's back on top form - I saw him wondering around his tort table so I picked him out and let him have a run round the living room - I figured if he didn't have somewhere familiar to bed down it might spur him on to get a bit energised.

He then proceeded to lay 2 yule logs on my living room carpet and perked right up! Maybe he was a bit bloated? Haha

Anyway since then he's been fine! Here's a picture I just snapped of him tucking in to some greens. This is about what I give him a day - size wise, I give him plenty of different stuff. I'm just waiting to get my weed seeds from shelled warriors so I can plant some of his recommended weeds and watch him tuck into some dandelions.

With regards to his substrate, I'm gradually going to introduce the soil I got for him just it took him a while to get used to the first amount I added. So hopefully in a few weeks heel be all in soil.

image-4177274721.png

Hmm for some reason the photo i just snapped on the iPhone didn't upload. Trying again...

image-612263205.png

SailingMystic

5 Year Member
Chester County, PA
Yule log on the carpet lol ;) one small adjustment you could make is to place his food on a lid or flat surface-- my little guy hated working for his food (pull ups to get into dish), and well-- sometimes walked past it when it was in a dish (just too much effort).

Try a flat surface for a week-- wow-- you may see a huge difference :) my guy is going to town!! Happy Holiday !!

Status
Not open for further replies.