My new table

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Youngstown, Ohio
Can that grow light cause a tort to eat its substrate. Just saying because I know the red ones will.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Don’t see why it would?
Unfortunately, tortoises can lack intelligence when it comes to food. They have excellent colour vision and associate coloured items with sweet foods and will try to eat them. I have watched my own tortoise try to eat red circles printed on a newspaper [emoji849]

We regularly see tortoises in TFO that have eaten substrate or other decor coloured by red or purple lamps and substrate can block the gut.

We recommend "white" lighting only by day and complete darkness at night. Supplementary heat should be from a Ceramic Heat Emitter.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Unfortunately, tortoises can lack intelligence when it comes to food. They have excellent colour vision and associate coloured items with sweet foods and will try to eat them. I have watched my own tortoise try to eat red circles printed on a newspaper [emoji849]

We regularly see tortoises in TFO that have eaten substrate or other decor coloured by red or purple lamps and substrate can block the gut.

We recommend "white" lighting only by day and complete darkness at night. Supplementary heat should be from a Ceramic Heat Emitter.

I use a 6000K white light and my plants are growing fine

Lynn1957

5 Year Member
Alberta
Thanks!! Okay its gone...I had no idea.
I will put the white 6500k back in.
And you agree with digging him out every morning and giving him his soak and food but leaving him buried the rest of the time?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I dig everyone out every morning and soak them while I prepare the food, then place them in front of the food.

Lynn1957

5 Year Member
Alberta
I dig everyone out every morning and soak them while I prepare the food, then place them in front of the food.
Yes thanks...but then do you let them stay buried the rest of the day and night?