my new russian enclosure :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashliewood

5 Year Member
so, i just got this tort a week ago....and im already moving furniture out of my living room to fit a large enough enclosure in my house. well he explored it and went to hide in his dirt..

this is a picture of the whole thing, its pretty big and lined with a shower curtain(still not sure what to do with the edges of the curtain though)
IMG_9973.jpg

his food dish with his cuddle bone and watermelon(for hydration), his log hide and water bowl
IMG_9975.jpg

this is basking area and garden :) i planted marigolds in the pot and carolinas tortoise seed on both sides.
IMG_9974.jpg

IMG_9977.jpg

any input would e greatly appreciated

jeffbens0n

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Glenmoore, PA
It looks good, is that topsoil with reptibark on top of it? I'm sure he will like digging in the topsoil. I might add some fake or live plants(potted or planted in the soil, whichever is easier for you. Just something that hangs down and gives him more places to hide, explore, possibly nibble on, and also make the enclosure look a lot more lively.

Ashliewood

5 Year Member
Yes he was just in reptibark but couldn't burrow if he wanted. I planted some of the Russian tortoise seed mix and planted them in there. They are suppose to grow pretty fast(fingers crossed)

Ashliewood

5 Year Member
i will for sure :) any ideas for the liner? i dont like the looks of it sticking out...

Ashliewood

5 Year Member
Because one has a dimmer and can be left on during the night. The pet store told me to get two.... And threw the box away before I realized I didn't need it. I turned them
Both on just for the pics

C

Claireabbo

looks good! :) post picture of your little fella in there :)

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Looks good. Sink the water dish a bit into the substrate so they can climb in more easily. You can surround it with some large pebbles or moss to keep them from dragging substate in.
As long as the temps are good, 95 or so under the MVB light and 70 or so on the cool side, you are good to go.
Hopefully the seeds will sprout soon to they have a chance, lol.
Yes, post pics of your guy in his house!

jrholls

5 Year Member
Maine
I used to use a plastic liner, but I found miss fat fat would attempt to climb until her claws would eventually find purchase in the plastic. She would wear holes and subsequently climb higher until one day I turned around and saw her little head poking out over the wall. Very cute, but we decided to do away with it. I recommend finding some other way to moisture-proof your enclosure.

HipsterTorts

5 Year Member
Southern California
Looks good!:)
I'm actually building an enclosure for my torts right now and for the liner I just cut it an inch above where the dirt ends then super glued it to the wall.

SnakeyeZ

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Neat - I'm sure the little guy will love it. I never really did like the idea of a shower curtain liner just because of how ugly it looks - but hey it works right?

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Ashliewood said:
i will for sure :) any ideas for the liner? i dont like the looks of it sticking out...

I used a shower pan liner (from Lowe's); kind of of like the stuff they use for a pond liner.
Folded it up the sides and stapled it to the edges. It is pretty tough and they can't climb it.
You do want something tough because Russians like to burrow and scrape.

Ashliewood

5 Year Member
So, the shower curtain is not working well at all... I'm looking into getting like a rabbit hutch or something.. He seems stressed lately and has been climbing the walls and digging holes in the liner and even getting between the liner... So I'm wondering if anyone has used a hutch or like a cage of some kind... I'm stuck! He is eating the weeds as they sprout... I'm wondering also if he is so actively digging and climbing if this is normal and he just feels better or might actually be stressed. I will post some new pictures soon :)

A picture before he was comfortable

Attachments

• image-647054198.png
    image-647054198.png
    945.8 KB · Views: 31

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Ashlie:

I think you told us you are in Washington, so I understand that you don't have the nicest weather for tortoises, however, Russian tortoises really do much, much better outside. When you keep them indoors in habitats, you see the action that your tortoise is displaying.

If its at all possible, try to think about an outdoor habitat as being the tortoise's main home, with an indoor habitat as the secondary or poor weather home. And then find the biggest tub/book case/container that you can fit into your room. The bigger the better, because with lots of sight barriers in the habitat, it gives the tortoise more to do and move around, breaking up the try-to-get-out mentality. And the more sight barriers you have in the habitat, the more room they take up (hence the biggest container you can find).

Ashliewood

5 Year Member
I am definitely looking into new ideas, though I live in a city and I would be Afraid to leave him two stories down outside.... Would even out on the patio be better than indoors or the same? I just feel so bad for him. And didn't do my research before I bought him :-/ but am willing to give him the best possible

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
They tend to be restless in any size container. Mine still can pace in a 20'x10' outside enclosure (not as much as the table, however).
As far as the tort table liner, unless the shower curtain is very thick and tough, consider a stronger liner like pond liner or the shower pan liner (came in a precut package at Lowe's for $25, but you can have them cut to size too). then you can fold it up right to the top and staple it down so he can't reach between.
Meanwhile, if you can expand the table and have the room, great. Sometimes you can just add another book case to the first, in an 'L' shape or a long rectangle and cut a door between the two, whatever it takes to fit in your apartment.
Yes, a patio is great.
Our weather in SW Washington has been wonderful tort weather (at least for Med torts) for the past 2 months, and part time prior to that).
So if you can set something up for the balcony, great.
Some use the whole patio, lining the bottom railing securely with a wood barrier that is high enough he can't climb over, say 16". Cap the corners.You can line up sturdy plant trays or cat litter pans in a row on one end with soil and plants.
Or, you can make an outside enclosure like a raised bed.
Have you seen these liners that can be used with a raised bed on a patio?
http://www.gardeners.com/Grow-Bed-Liners/VegetableGardening_RaisedBeds,39-378RS,default,cp.html
Good luck, and don't worry, this is a process!

Status
Not open for further replies.