MY NEW PET

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigred

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
This beautiful green spider has been hanging on a green cactus pad for about a month now, he blends right in. He manages to catch wasps and suck the insides right out of them:D. My question is for the folks with cactus, has anyone ever came across a spider like this on cactus. I feed this guy once and awhile to fatten him up.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Never seen one like that, but he's cool. We just get the regular garden style orb weavers here. I feed them too.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I love having a "pet" spider outside. Occasionally here we will get a bunch of what I think are orb weavers. They build a very big "net" across a pathway, or across my pond...a huge net, then they just sit there and wait for dinner. Its a pretty big spider and usually yellow. But then they disappear and you don't see any of them for a couple years or more.

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Tom said:
Never seen one like that, but he's cool. We just get the regular garden style orb weavers here. I feed them too.

He is cool, he ran toward my hand when I tried to feed him so I give him his space

Yvonne G said:
I love having a "pet" spider outside. Occasionally here we will get a bunch of what I think are orb weavers. They build a very big "net" across a pathway, or across my pond...a huge net, then they just sit there and wait for dinner. Its a pretty big spider and usually yellow. But then they disappear and you don't see any of them for a couple years or more.

Good to hear from some of the cactus loving folks, this guy just builds a web on that one cactus pad and waits. He is always on that one pad and goes to the other side when its hot

AnnV

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
SWFL
Your green spider is cool. I have seen bright green spiders before, here in CT, but don't know if it could be the same species.

I had a pet spider last summer. I posted pics on my fb page and mostly I got a bunch of "eww's" or even exclamations to kill it quickly. It is nice to hang out with a group who appreciate the usefulness and beauty of all creatures.
My spider was seen only at night. She spun incredible webs each night on the gate to my pasture. I would cut thru another area of the fence so I wouldn't break her magnificent web. One night it was from the top of the four foot gate to the ground, and nearly perfect. I wish I possessed such ambition and architectural capabilities! She slept in a corner of the gate during the day. I witnessed a confrontation with a wasp one day, the only time I saw her in daylight.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using TortForum mobile app

Attachments

• 1375029147394.jpg
    1375029147394.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 81

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
AnnV said:
Your green spider is cool. I have seen bright green spiders before, here in CT, but don't know if it could be the same species.

I had a pet spider last summer. I posted pics on my fb page and mostly I got a bunch of "eww's" or even exclamations to kill it quickly. It is nice to hang out with a group who appreciate the usefulness and beauty of all creatures.
My spider was seen only at night. She spun incredible webs each night on the gate to my pasture. I would cut thru another area of the fence so I wouldn't break her magnificent web. One night it was from the top of the four foot gate to the ground, and nearly perfect. I wish I possessed such ambition and architectural capabilities! She slept in a corner of the gate during the day. I witnessed a confrontation with a wasp one day, the only time I saw her in daylight.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using TortForum mobile app

Very Cool, this guy is on that pad all day and night just waiting

N2TORTS said:
Very Cool ED!

Hey JD, saw your latest red head pip, very cool as well

ladyjean22

5 Year Member
Lol I don't let my boyfriend kill spiders (unless they get on him... I cant break him of that... it's a start at least!) I tell him I'd rather have spiders in/around my house than the bugs they are eating! Go spiders!

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
ladyjean22 said:
Lol I don't let my boyfriend kill spiders (unless they get on him... I cant break him of that... it's a start at least!) I tell him I'd rather have spiders in/around my house than the bugs they are eating! Go spiders!

I showed all family members and told them not to kill him

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Yup, we have a common funnel spider that lives in the kitchen window seal inside.....had been there for months now. He (I believe he because no egg pad laid, as of yet that is)quietly resides in his funnel and he keep the window area clear of any tiny flying buggies and the occasional fly that will make its way in when the doors are left open bringing in the groceries and such....once in a while while I am doing the dishes he will appear quickly when those pesky little moth things make their way in, grab the moth and retreat back to his funnel...there are strict guidelines that the few strategically allowed daddy long legs and this funnel spider are protected species here along with the CDTs....:D

Ed, your spider guest is a bit wicked shaped and very very cool looking....does anyone know what type of spider that is?

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
ascott said:
Yup, we have a common funnel spider that lives in the kitchen window seal inside.....had been there for months now. He (I believe he because no egg pad laid, as of yet that is)quietly resides in his funnel and he keep the window area clear of any tiny flying buggies and the occasional fly that will make its way in when the doors are left open bringing in the groceries and such....once in a while while I am doing the dishes he will appear quickly when those pesky little moth things make their way in, grab the moth and retreat back to his funnel...there are strict guidelines that the few strategically allowed daddy long legs and this funnel spider are protected species here along with the CDTs....:D

Ed, your spider guest is a bit wicked shaped and very very cool looking....does anyone know what type of spider that is?

Angela I knew you would appreciate this:D I have no idea what kind of spider this guy is. My neighbor took a picture and was going to try to figure it out but havent heard from him

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
knew you would appreciate this

Absolutely.....

(The only spider that does not stand a chance with me is a Black Widow...they spark some primal chord with me...the hair stands up on my arms and I get a knot in my stomach instantly at the moment I realize I am in the company of one...especially the occasional one in the house---I think in 9 years we have had like maybe 5 in the house...ewwwwww.....everything stops in my world until I have a body to show it did not get away...)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Wow, glad you all like them. Me, phobia. If they are any place I have to walk or be, they are dead. I have gotten better though. Used to kill any that I would see, near and far. Except daddy long legs, have always liked them. I do like fooling with the funnel ones. I think that's what they are called.. They only get fooled once though, smart buggers. They still scare me though. That green one is pretty, my fave color.

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
wellington said:
Wow, glad you all like them. Me, phobia. If they are any place I have to walk or be, they are dead. I have gotten better though. Used to kill any that I would see, near and far. Except daddy long legs, have always liked them. I do like fooling with the funnel ones. I think that's what they are called.. They only get fooled once though, smart buggers. They still scare me though. That green one is pretty, my fave color.

Wellington since your favorite color is green I could ship him to you:D

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
This guy is still on the same cactus pad and he has a wasp.Looks like he has his fangs sank right into his head

Status
Not open for further replies.