Is organic spring mix, ok to feed my 18 month old sulcata?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sissyofone

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
San Antonio, Texas
It has a variety of leafy greens in it. But some I'm not sure of like organic green oak also has red oak, organic tat soi, radicchio, and lolla roses. If anyone can help I'd appreciate it. Im just in luv with my little sulcata and trying so hard to give him what he needs. He also gets prickly pear cactus, fresh green beans and once a month he gets a couple of bites of an apple or carrot. Is it safe for sulcatas to eat broccoli, and plantains?

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Yes, it's ok to feed him spring mix. Other foods include collard greens, kale, turnup greens, hibiscus leaf and flower, rose petals, squash, pumpkin, carrots, and weeds. Have you checked out Tom's threads? Broccoli is ok sometimes, but I wouldn't feed him plantains. Also,apples are a nono. Fruits in general are not healthy for them. Could you post pics of the love of your life?

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
sibi said:
Yes, it's ok to feed him spring mix. Other foods include collard greens, kale, turnup greens, hibiscus leaf and flower, rose petals, squash, pumpkin, carrots, and weeds. Have you checked out Tom's threads? Broccoli is ok sometimes, but I wouldn't feed him plantains. Also,apples are a nono. Fruits in general are not healthy for them. Could you post pics of the love of your life?
Yes, spring mix is good to feed, but I am confused on why apples are a no no...please explain.

sissyofone

10 Year Member!
San Antonio, Texas
Thank you so much. And yes I will gladly post pics, I've not had him long. I will tell spunkys story soon.

LLLReptile

TFO Sponsor
5 Year Member
mainey34 said:
sibi said:
Yes, spring mix is good to feed, but I am confused on why apples are a no no...please explain.

Generally, the sugar in commonly available fruit is a bit much. Wild sulcatas don't often come across a lot of sweet fruits, and their diet in captivity should attempt to mimic the high fiber, grassy sort of diet they'd have in the wild. Personally, I feel fruit is alright as an occasional treat in small quantities, but it really shouldn't be too much a part of the diet.

-Jen

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
LLLReptile said:
mainey34 said:
sibi said:

Generally, the sugar in commonly available fruit is a bit much. Wild sulcatas don't often come across a lot of sweet fruits, and their diet in captivity should attempt to mimic the high fiber, grassy sort of diet they'd have in the wild. Personally, I feel fruit is alright as an occasional treat in small quantities, but it really shouldn't be too much a part of the diet.

-Jen
Thank you for the clarification. I don't remember reading anywhere that it was forbidden for sulcatas to have apples. I feed my sulcata a thin slice maybe every 6 months, as a treat. She really does not care for sweets any ways. But I wanted to make sure that I wasn't misinformed. Again, thank you for clarifying....

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Is organic spring mix, ok to feed my 18 month old sulcata?

Yes, also---organic is a fantastic choice for any of the food items you compile for your tort (and you as well ;)).....

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Spring mix, or any grocery store greens, should be a last resort if you can't get or grow something better. Their diet needs to be high fiber and should include a lot of grass. Various weeds and leaves are good too. I never feed mine fruit. They don't need it and it's not good for them. If all you can do is grocery store food then try adding a product called "Salad Style". It is finely blended up grass hay that your can sprinkle on top of the grocery store greens to make it better for them. I got mine from Tyler and Sarah at tortoisesupply.com.

sissyofone

10 Year Member!
San Antonio, Texas
I feed spunky grass and dandylions. Along with various weeds and a few rose petals and hibiscus leaves. He gets a big variety daily. Along with prickly pear cactus and his organic spring mix. I'm trying to offer him a variety. I say him, I'm not sure what sex spunky is. That's why I named him spunky. It fits either way. Lol thanks for all your help. I'm still new here, I think its awesome everyone so helpful.

sissyofone

10 Year Member!
San Antonio, Texas
Okay has anyone ever heard of the baby sweet leaf spring mix? Is it safe for them or not? I read it has alot of the same things, that the organic spring mix has in it. Just thought I'd ask, before I bought it. Thanks in advance. :)

sissyofone

10 Year Member!
San Antonio, Texas
I didn't purchase it so, I'm not too sure of all ingredients. But from what I can remember it had alot of the same stuff that the organic spring mix has in it but there were some things I didn't know about, so I decided to wait on the purchase. Was having a hard time collecting fresh weeds and grasses. But things are looking much better now . Do you know if the wild sunflower is safe for sulcatas? The leaves of plant and or the flower petals. I try to offer him a different variety of fresh foods on a weekly basis. Depending on where I gather his food from.

I Googled it " HEB Baby Sweetleaf Spring Mix " it told me nutritional values, but not the ingredients. I will check it out in a few days when I get back to store for future reference.

MasterOogway

5 Year Member
My son ran to the store for me and grabbed the same thing. It did have the same as the spring mix. I am just wondering if it's a different name from a different company. Like we call pill bugs potato bugs around here. There may be one green that is different but if I remember correctly it was the same. You can always compare the two at the store.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I researched sunflower leaves a while back and it was inconclusive, but the majority seemed to say it was okay. I guess not too many people want to eat sf leaves.a I decided to do a little experiment with a single tortoise and all went well. I fed him up on lots of good stuff for a few days to make sure he wasn't overly hungry. Then after a good meal where he ate his fill, I put out a small amount of sunflower leaves all by themselves next to more of his other food. He went straight over and ate the sf leaves. Sulcatas will eat ANYTHING. If they are really hungry, but mine get picky when they are well fed, like right now during weeds season. They can graze their fill all day long, so they have less interest in anything I offer. I figure if he ate it with a full stomach, it must be okay. He lived, had no issues, and I've been feeding it as part of my varied diet ever since.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
sissyofone said:
Okay has anyone ever heard of the baby sweet leaf spring mix? Is it safe for them or not? I read it has alot of the same things, that the organic spring mix has in it. Just thought I'd ask, before I bought it. Thanks in advance. :)

sissyofone said:
I didn't purchase it so, I'm not too sure of all ingredients. But from what I can remember it had alot of the same stuff that the organic spring mix has in it but there were some things I didn't know about, so I decided to wait on the purchase. Was having a hard time collecting fresh weeds and grasses. But things are looking much better now . Do you know if the wild sunflower is safe for sulcatas? The leaves of plant and or the flower petals. I try to offer him a different variety of fresh foods on a weekly basis. Depending on where I gather his food from.

I Googled it " HEB Baby Sweetleaf Spring Mix " it told me nutritional values, but not the ingredients. I will check it out in a few days when I get back to store for future reference.

I think the sweet leaf mix is more lettuce heavy. If you want variety, try the 'herb mix'

Yellow Turtle

5 Year Member
Indonesia
sibi said:

Sibi, please explain why you don't want to feed plantain (plantago major), I thought it is good food.

MikeCow1

5 Year Member
Orange County, CA
Yellow Turtle said:
sibi said:

Sibi, please explain why you don't want to feed plantain (plantago major), I thought it is good food.

There's a banana like fruit called a plantain, probably what they mean

Status
Not open for further replies.