My New Ivory Trio questions

Yaouch

I just came back from the reptile show with a group of Ivory trio yesterday, 2x Ivory and 1x Ivory Het. I made sure they are from different breeders to prevent from inbreeding. Would like to share some pics with everyone also with some questions. I had Leopards for a few years before I decided to let them go but now I took interested in Ivory Sulcata, I just love the way the look and can not wait for them to get bigger so they can roam my backyard. I have never taken care of hatchlings before, the leopards I used to have, I purchased them at yearling. Its been 24 hours now and did not see my Torts eating, I provide mix baby green, radish, and radish leafs, celery, mazuri, and Cal+D3 powder. They dont seem to be eating..... I did soak them in warm water for about 15mins, but again they are not eating. Very active running all over the tank. If anyone have any pointers pls feel free to share.....

Meanwhile here are some pics of my enclosure, I have Coco Coir for bedding, humility is at 80%, with temp of 80-85...

rearlpettway

Tom and DeanS will help you soon.

Sent from Rodney Earl Pettway's iPad using TortForum

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California

Yaouch

What are your four temperatures? Warm side, cool side basking area, and night? What are you using for light, heat and UV? I think they need a humid hide in there too.

I have a cave in there which is the most humid at 80%, warmest is right under my light which is about 95, my coldest side is around 80s, night temp is about 80-85 or so. I do have a basking light and a UVB coil, (which I just found that is bad for them so I ordered a UVB Fluorescent mercury vapor bulb). I just got them home yesterday so I will wait a few days before I introduce them outside for direct sun basking.

Also should I get a humidifier to keep my humidity at 80% rather then spring water everyday??? Since sulcatas are not acceptable to shell rote would it be ok with keep the humidity higher then needed??

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
UVB Fluorescents are different than mercury vapor bulbs. Two different things. Either can work for you.

I would cover the top to stop or slow evaporation rather than use a humidifier.

The answers about how to house them are in the links above.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
My only real issue is that they really should be quarantined from each other...given that they are from different breeders! 80-85º should be your cool temps. It should top off around 100º in their basking spot! Also, they have a tendency to flip over...or sometimes fall asleep in their water! Keep a close eye! They CAN drown in 1/4" of water! Good luck!

JHamer

Maybe this is a silly question, but are all Ivories technically some amount of inbred from the original ones? Or has someone besides Fife made Ivories?

littleginsu

10 Year Member!
Sierra Vista, AZ
I don't think it is a silly question at all!

Maybe you can breed Ivories with other Sulcata's and maybe some of those babies will be Ivory? So, effectively bringing other lines into the pool? I don't know, I am just making stuff up.. lol!

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
I don't think it is a silly question at all!

Maybe you can breed Ivories with other Sulcata's and maybe some of those babies will be Ivory? So, effectively bringing other lines into the pool? I don't know, I am just making stuff up.. lol!
That could be true, but I think it would depend more on how much of the Ivory gene the one Ivory prent had. Or if the other parent had a small amount of the Ivory gene, then you could have Ivory babies.
I know next to nothing about breeding so you're probably right :D