Ivory sulcata?

Tortugatron

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Buhl, Idaho
Hello everyone! I've got some questions for the experts. I've been around sulcatas for most of my life, and currently have four, one adult, one sub adult, and two year-olds. I take them out daily into the front yard to mow my grass and I soak and spray them when it's sunny and hot. The other day while I was soaking them, I realized my sub adult (sheldon) is significantly lighter than my other three. I just logged the observation away and went on about my business. A few days later, my mother (whom I had received Sheldon from) stopped by during their feeding and soaking time and she commented on Sheldon's color in comparison to the others. I then remembered my previous observation and decided to do some research. After a bit of googling and searching some tortoise archives I discovered the ivory sulcata.

My questions (besides helping me identify whether or not he is an ivory) are these:

Do sulcatas shells typically change color as they mature? Mine has always been lighter, and is much lighter than even my year olds, but will he grow out of it?

If he is an ivory, is there any significant difference between the care and upkeep between a regular and lighter sulcata?

Thank you all for your time and advice. I LOVE this forum!KIMG0025.jpg KIMG0025.jpg IMG_20150605_153123.jpg

Attachments

• KIMG0028.jpg
    KIMG0028.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 25

Tortugatron

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Buhl, Idaho

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!