my new baby sulcata

Status
Not open for further replies.

y4433264336

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
here are some pics of my new baby sulcata tortoise.
he/she is about 1 month old

IMG_0081.jpg

IMG_0078.jpg

IMG_0072.jpg
running to the food..
IMG_0074.jpg

IMG_0076.jpg

eating hay, mix with small amount of green.
IMG_0077.jpg

IMG_0097.jpg
i found this on my backyard, are these safe to eat??
thanks```

>>one question, he can only finish 1/2 quantity of food that i provided. is that normal for baby?? <<<

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi y4433264336:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

May we know your name and where you are?

A few of us here on the Forum use Photobucket.com for uploading our pictures.

y4433264336

5 Year Member
Maryland
emysemys said:
Hi y4433264336:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

May we know your name and where you are?

A few of us here on the Forum use Photobucket.com for uploading our pictures.

my name is cheneo, and i live in Maryland..

y4433264336

5 Year Member
Maryland
new baby sulcata

IMG_0097.jpg
thanks```

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
i cant see either.. but you will probably need to feed more greens and less hay at this age to make sure he is eating enough. Dry hay usually comes later in life.
calcium, moisture and sunshine... needs lots of both.
WELCOME!!!

SulcataSquirt

5 Year Member
Missouri
Hi, good looking tort. Although it looks as we need to get you on the right track to raise a healthy baby. You have your baby on rabbit pellets, you can not wet rabbit pellets or they mold. Sulcatas needs humidity to grow smoothy, so you need a substrate that you can wet down every few days to keep humidity high. What type of UVa UVb light do you have? I suggest you need to get a Mercury Vapor Bulb for reptiles. It provies UVa UVb and Heat all in one bulb. I would skip the hay as it is too much work for the little guys to eat and may discourage him from eating. A good beginner food is Spring Mix lettuce, And you can add in alot of different fresh greens from the produce store. Example, Escarole, endive, Butter lettuce. Radicchio, dandelion greens. Alright, lets see, some more things, night time temp needs to be close to 80 degrees F. you need to have a basking spot of about 100 degrees and a cooler side between 75-80. These little guys get expensive really quick despite how cheap they are. Their is alot of other information they you will learn. I would really suggest Reading Tom's How to raise a sulcata hatchling and babys. It is The only way to raise one of these guys. Good luck!

SulcataSquirt

5 Year Member
Missouri
Also, Give us a run down on your daily routine for you little guy. These little guys demand a routine if you have noticed already. These little ones also dehydrate very easily which is fatal. So id suggest you soak your little guy 20-30 mins everyday in luke warm water up too where the top shell meets the bottom shell.

y4433264336

5 Year Member
Maryland
SulcataSquirt said:
Hi, good looking tort. Although it looks as we need to get you on the right track to raise a healthy baby. You have your baby on rabbit pellets, you can not wet rabbit pellets or they mold. Sulcatas needs humidity to grow smoothy, so you need a substrate that you can wet down every few days to keep humidity high. What type of UVa UVb light do you have? I suggest you need to get a Mercury Vapor Bulb for reptiles. It provies UVa UVb and Heat all in one bulb. I would skip the hay as it is too much work for the little guys to eat and may discourage him from eating. A good beginner food is Spring Mix lettuce, And you can add in alot of different fresh greens from the produce store. Example, Escarole, endive, Butter lettuce. Radicchio, dandelion greens. Alright, lets see, some more things, night time temp needs to be close to 80 degrees F. you need to have a basking spot of about 100 degrees and a cooler side between 75-80. These little guys get expensive really quick despite how cheap they are. Their is alot of other information they you will learn. I would really suggest Reading Tom's How to raise a sulcata hatchling and babys. It is The only way to raise one of these guys. Good luck!

its not rabbit pellets, its "Zilla Alfalfa Meal Premium Reptile Bedding".
the humidity is about 55-60% during the day, and 68-73% at night. do you think thats okay??

drgnfly2265 said:
Awww, so cute and tine :)

yes he/she is.!!! im soo happpy to own one ...

ewam

5 Year Member
Southern Ca.
Rabbit pellets an zoo alfalfa premium beeding is pretty much the same thing they both cause mold and they both cause feet deformation. It would be a good idea to switch to cypress mulch or coco coir or both.

martinfre

5 Year Member
Cologne, Germany
To quote ewam: you should change the substrat.
They life in north africa (map -> attached file), in a kind of desert. So you can use a mix of soil and sand. Or cocos coir for the young sulcata.

You know what size it will reach, don't you?

Attachments

• blatt14_7.gif
    blatt14_7.gif
    4.8 KB · Views: 12

Nakia

10 Year Member!
Haskell, Texas
RE: new baby sulcata

y4433264336 said:
IMG_0097.jpg
thanks```
Hi there & welcome to the forum. Your baby is totally adorable! I just recently got a new sulcata baby also.

From what I can see of the weeds in your yard, there are some very good ones in there. You have a nice batch of dandelions which are excellent for adding to its diet. I'm not a weed expert, but most of what I see there I have used for my torts & they love 'em.

Good luck with the new addition & I look forward to seeing lots more pics of the little darling.

y4433264336

5 Year Member
Maryland
thank you all for the advice, :)

Nakia said:
y4433264336 said:
IMG_0097.jpg
thanks```
Hi there & welcome to the forum. Your baby is totally adorable! I just recently got a new sulcata baby also.

From what I can see of the weeds in your yard, there are some very good ones in there. You have a nice batch of dandelions which are excellent for adding to its diet. I'm not a weed expert, but most of what I see there I have used for my torts & they love 'em.

Good luck with the new addition & I look forward to seeing lots more pics of the little darling.

did i need to wash it first before giving to the tort?

Status
Not open for further replies.