My new babies

Minimoomin

I got them, I got them. As you can tell I'm very excited, only problem is can't decide on names. Any ideas ? ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1435351038.238505.jpg

ellen

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Sonoran Desert
Oh I can't get over how beautiful their shells are! As for names... Hm. Perhaps names from mythology or literature? I went for Arthurian legend for my little ones. I'm still debating whether or not to adopt a King Arthur someday. :<3:

Minimoomin

Thanks everyone I'm so happy I got them. I'm liking all the name suggestions, am gonna get my little boy to help pick 2 of them. My little girl wanted Bill and Ben or Tate and Lyle lol. I was really worried they would be really stressed when they got here, they were taken out of their house and put in a box and driven about 17 miles. I bathed them, set up the house and put loads of fresh weeds in and they ate loads, wondered around then went to bed when I turn out the light.

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Alta Loma, CA
Welcome to the Forum. They are beautiful! The Forum is full of valuable information on how to raise a healthy tortoise.

The substrate you have is very drying and will lead to pyramiding. The substrate you have cannot be moistened because it will mold. If I were you I would change the substrate to something that can be moistened such as cypress mulch or fine orchid bark. You could also mix the cypress mulch or orchid bark with coir. If your enclosure has a wooden bottom you should line it with some sort of plastic such as part of a shower curtain or something similar. I really like the sphagnum moss by ZooMed for adding humidity to the enclosure. I put several piles of the moist moss on top of the substrate. It holds moisture well and my hatchlings love to burrow into the fluffy moist moss.

Check out the Leopard care sheets here on the Forum for more information and ideas on raising Leopards.

Again, welcome to the Forum.

Minimoomin

Thank you Carol, I know it needs to change. I put another post up before I got them yesterday. I was worried about so many changes all at once for them. Unfortunately they have already started pyramiding. I'm am changing it in the next few days tho. They also need a much bigger house they came with a 3 ft viv which is way, way to small and the outside enclosure they came with is the size of a fruit box. I will be changing it all tho. I want healthy happy torts and will get them. Thanks for all your advice.

deadheadvet

10 Year Member!
Cary, NC
You are going to have to work on their habitat. The chips in the background are very dry and it is already apparent that they have a good amount of bumping already.

NicoleB26

5 Year Member
Rome, OH
Congrats! Now comes the fun part....habitat overhaul! It's part of the fun of keeping tortoises (i think anyway :) ) beautiful torts u have there!!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Frank and Earnest! (Ernie for short)?
Gin and Tonic (Ginny and Toni)?

Minimoomin

We have been out all day buying new everything. I just need to get them a bigger home now. I am changing everything so no doubt I will be posting lots of questions on this site.