My Nelson almost died today

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
FL
I’m still shaking. I got home from work today and went upstairs to give Nelson his lettuce.
I had to do a double-take when I glanced into his enclosure because I couldn’t figure out what was in the corner.
I still don’t know quite what happened, but he was stuck on his side with all of his limbs stretched straight out, NOT MOVING!! It’s hard to explain and I didn’t get a great look because I panicked and picked him up...but one arm and leg were in his substrate and the other arm and leg were in the air, exposing his plastron.
I picked him up and he didn't move at all- his head and limbs were still stretched out. Then he pulled his head in and that was my first indication that he was alive, THANK GOD!
I held him in my hand and his head was stretched out really far. He had obviously been straining.

I don’t know if maybe he was trying to climb up the corner of his enclosure and fell on his side ? And maybe the more he dug trying to get out, he just got stuck in the substrate somehow?

I set him under his heat lamp right away since he was stuck on the cold side.
Is there anything I should do for him? He's eating now so I'm sure he's okay.
Should I put something in the corner so he can't flip again?

My mom works at home so I’ve asked her to check on him periodically throughout the day!

If I didn’t know before just how much I love him, I do now. I would have died if something happened to my baby.

Jupiterannette

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
im glad your baby is ok. keep a close eye on him, as he grows make sure his enclosure grows with him and your updating saftey features all the time :)

DoctorCosmonaut

10 Year Member!
Oregon
Those darn tortoises "love" to get stuck on their sides and back (had experiences with both my torts like this)! I'm glad he is okay!

Best thing to do is figure out how and eliminate the thing

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I have a black wire, for the humidity gage, going from the outside of the viv into the end where the water dish is. I had just given Pio a worm, and one was just not enough for him, so he went after the black wire..I'm assuming this anyway. I found him on his back in the water dish. This never happened to him before, and he has plenty of room in there to roam. So I guess these things happen once and a while.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Thank goodness he's alright and that he's the first thing you check when you get home (me too). Poor little guy he was probably just as scared as you were. He sounds good now though that he's eating. You are lucky that you have your mother to look in on him, but don't be surprised if she falls for him too. :D :p

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
Candy said:
You are lucky that you have your mother to look in on him, but don't be surprised if she falls for him too. :D :p

She was complaining at dinner about having to watch my dogs and now Nelson too ;) (She watched my dogs for me for 4 years while I was in college.)
I joked that I would set up a webcam for her so she could be in her office downstairs and be able to keep an eye on Nelson ;)
I was only half-joking though...haha

Weloveourtortoise

5 Year Member
Gardner, MA
poor both of you!!! I am so glad to hear he is okay. Web cam it for sure-- then you both can check on him!!!

-ryan-

5 Year Member
At least he is alright. I always check everyone before I leave in the morning and as soon as I get home at night (which unfortunately can be 12-16 hours later if it is a particularly busy day). I also have everyone else in the house watch out for flippy tortoises. I think they learned their lesson when I came home one night and one of the hatchlings was on his back under the heat lamp (could have been disastrous!). After that my family realized that it is not just an irrational fear and that there's a reason I check on them so often :)

I have never thought about the webcam idea though... that is a great idea!

Shelly

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Southern California
Glad he's OK, but I seriously doubt that he "nearly died". He probably didn't move right away because he was sleeping.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Shelly said:
Glad he's OK, but I seriously doubt that he "nearly died". He probably didn't move right away because he was sleeping.

I imagine a voice like Eore the Winnie the Poo character.

"Well, here I am... stuck on my side... I hope somebody comes along soon... zzzzzzz...":p

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
Shelly said:

You're right, I was being dramatic when I wrote the post because it had happened only a few minutes before.
However, he is just a hatchling and I know they can't really breathe when they're flipped on their back or side.
I still have that image of him with his arm and leg stuck straight up towards the ceiling...shudder.
When I picked him up he was lifeless, and his limbs were extended more than I have ever seen.
I tend to be overly paranoid when it comes to my animals ;)

Roachman26 said:

"Well, here I am... stuck on my side... I hope somebody comes along soon... zzzzzzz...":p

hahahaha that made me laugh, thank you :D

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
I like the stone idea, thanks Steph!
For now I have a large tortoise figurine in the corner :p

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
ChiKat said:
Shelly said:

You're right, I was being dramatic when I wrote the post because it had happened only a few minutes before.
However, he is just a hatchling and I know they can't really breathe when they're flipped on their back or side.
I still have that image of him with his arm and leg stuck straight up towards the ceiling...shudder.
When I picked him up he was lifeless, and his limbs were extended more than I have ever seen.
I tend to be overly paranoid when it comes to my animals ;)

Roachman26 said:

hahahaha that made me laugh, thank you :D

Your welcome. That was my intention. I was hoping you wouldn't be upset given the seriousness of the situation. I too, am very glad he's ok. I know exactly how you feel, and that's why I wanted to interject a little humor. I found Scooter on his back in the summer sun in 2008. Bert had taken his revenge for years of dry humping. If I hadn't happened to walk by the pen and notice... I would not have been laughing at jokes that day, so you are a better person than I.
BTW, they were separated within minutes of that incident. Bert now has his own pen and Daisy goes back and forth. Sometimes I switch the boys into each others pens for behavioral enrichment.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
OMG you both must have been so scared :( I am so glad he is ok!!!!! Thank God you got there in time.

spikethebest

10 Year Member!
Southern California
She was complaining at dinner about having to watch my dogs and now Nelson too ;) (She watched my dogs for me for 4 years while I was in college.)
I joked that I would set up a webcam for her so she could be in her office downstairs and be able to keep an eye on Nelson ;)
I was only half-joking though...haha

this is exactly the reason why i installed cameras to watch littlefoot!!! so i know exactly what she is up to 24/7, anywhere.

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
Today while I was at work my mom said she checked on Nelson MULTIPLE times. She acted like it was a big inconvenience so I felt bad, but then later she was telling me that she went upstairs and was sitting next to his enclosure talking to him :rolleyes: So I think it's okay! ;)

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Roachman26 said:
I found Scooter on his back in the summer sun in 2008. Bert had taken his revenge for years of dry humping.

Hahaha, those rambunctious Sulcatas! I am glad you eventually were able to laugh about this incident and post it here. :p

I'm glad your tortoises are all safely isolated now! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.