Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
San Jose CA
What a cute little thing.

Congrats! ! ! ! !

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cool, Just give his some time to adjust to his new home . He may back off from eating and go to hiding . Just make sure your temps are right and keep soaking and feeding . Congrats

BlueBaron

Location (City and/or State)
Canada
So far so good, for sure hasn't backed off from feeding, this little tort just packs it back. How much should I be feeding it? I have read a couple things that conflict and wanted to know what you fellow hermanns owners think. Right now I am feeding a mound about the same size as the tortoise is in the am and then a couple small leaves around dinner time as a snack. Just got a weight on it too and its 32g at a little over two months old.

FujiBaird

What a cutie! As far as how much to feed... I struggled with that too. I tried big meals, small meals, one daily meal, multiple meals... I have to wonder if there's some sort of tortoise evolutionary behavior that keeps them from eating everything offered, because she never finished it all even when she was obviously very hungry. Now at about 130 grams, she gets two similar sized meals a day (2 soaked mazuri pellets and various leaves and greens, about the same size/volume as her shell). She's not very interested in breakfast but will eat 75% of her dinner. I'm sure with time you will get to know the amount your tortoise will eat, so it probably doesn't hurt to err on the side of giving her a lot to eat now and cutting back in time when you see how much goes to waste.