Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Check out the pair I picked up.....
IMG_20120602_124223.jpg

The female
IMG_20120602_124326.jpg

The Male
IMG_20120602_125108.jpg

The Male is huge...almost or not bigger than the female.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Are they new? any eggs yet?

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Tortuga_terrestre said:
dmmj said:
Are they new? any eggs yet?

Yeah I picked them up today..hopefully this summer I get some eggs. What subspecies do you guys believe they are? Im leaning more towards Dalmations...
From the top they look like Dalmatians, Testudo hermanni hercegovinensis. Can you post photos of their plastrons? That would tell for sure.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Unfortunately the photos posted kind of small but based on the plastron photos they both may be Easterns, not Dalmatians. Can you post a close photo of the shell bridge area just in front of their rear legs?

Tortuga_terrestre

10 Year Member!
Southern California
I cant believe it!!! She layed eggs today. Im going to let them incubate in the ground.
SAM_0121.jpg

I soaked her in warm water after she layed. I felt like a midwife lol
SAM_0124.jpg

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
NO don't incubate in the ground, WHY?

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
You lucky dog!!! ha ha but I would incubate them but if you dont have an incubator and dont want to buy one then I wouldnt.

Tortuga_terrestre

10 Year Member!
Southern California
dmmj said:

Her previous owner incubated in the ground without issues... They are in a secure enclosure. Plus I dont want to ruin the eggs by incubating incorrectly.

Eweezyfosheezy said:
You lucky dog!!! ha ha but I would incubate them but if you dont have an incubator and dont want to buy one then I wouldnt.

HAHAHA! I was worried about her this afternoon..she was breathing kinda hard. But I didnt expect for her to lay! After laying she walked away like a robot...stiff... looked like her legs were going to give out.

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Tortuga_terrestre said:
dmmj said:

Her previous owner incubated in the ground without issues... They are in a secure enclosure. Plus I dont want to ruin the eggs by incubating incorrectly.

Eweezyfosheezy said:

HAHAHA! I was worried about her this afternoon..she was breathing kinda hard. But I didnt expect for her to lay! After laying she walked away like a robot...stiff... looked like her legs were going to give out.

ha ha how long did it take her?

Tortuga_terrestre

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Eweezyfosheezy said:
Tortuga_terrestre said:
dmmj said:

Eweezyfosheezy said:

ha ha how long did it take her?

30-45 mins... Im not sure how many eggs she layed; You can only see 2 in the picture.

CactusVinnie

10 Year Member!
Bucharest, Romania z6
Wonderful tortoises and what a luck! Congrats!
Keep in mind that these ones came from a narrow seashore areal wich is quite humid (about 800mm/year) and not by far so hot like S-CA. Be careful to supplementary water and maybe offering some patched shade to the nest area, since Hercegovinensis have the lowest range of temperature incubation of all Hermanni.

Status
Not open for further replies.