My First Tort House...updated!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bellyboo

5 Year Member
So I decided that the first house I built wasn't big enough. Here's my updated one! :)

I'm thinking I need to add a second UVB light up front, correct? And I'll add a hinged screen up front. Took me forever to cut through the plastic of the tub, so I may make the hubby build that. ;) Plus, with the last screen, the stapler and I didn't exactly see eye to eye.

Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• torthouse3.jpg
    torthouse3.jpg
    848 KB · Views: 132
  • torthouse4.jpg
    torthouse4.jpg
    466.8 KB · Views: 94

bellyboo

5 Year Member
Melly-n-shorty said:
can you post a pic from the side? that is super cool, now i want to see how you did it! lol.

Thanks! I basically just took the idea from the thread about beginner habitats that's sticky and made a crappier version of it. lol!

I cut the side of the tub up front completely off and then slid my original tub kind of inside of it and cut a long, rectangle shaped door for him to go back and forth through. They fit together pretty snug and the lip of one tote goes over top of the other. Then I taped them together REALLY good on the bottom. You'll have to ignore all of the crazy tape on the sides...I have a 3 year old. ;) And ignore my crooked cutting. That stuff was hard to get through! Took a hack saw too it. lol! It's not really pretty, but it got the job done!

Attachments

• torthouse6.jpg
    torthouse6.jpg
    530.3 KB · Views: 60
  • torthouse5.jpg
    torthouse5.jpg
    726.8 KB · Views: 46

nikki0601

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Bonifay, FL
That is cool, and whats even better is u can continue to expand and just add on easily! I like that

bellyboo

5 Year Member
nikki0601 said:
That is cool, and whats even better is u can continue to expand and just add on easily! I like that

Thank you!

You know, I never even thought of that! It can just grow and grow! lol!

I had fully intended on spending a fortune and ordering one and I'm really glad I didn't. My kids and I had so much fun making this goofy thing!

nikki0601

5 Year Member
Bonifay, FL
It looks great and looks like it makes an excellent tort home, u can put some decor on the outside so u cant tell its even two pieces, I've been wondering how to build something for a hedgehog, I'm stealing your idea, lol

Melly-n-shorty

5 Year Member
Phoenix Arizona
oh wow! it looks great! i don't think your tort is going to mind the cut lines ;-) that could not of been easy to cut at all. I think that would work out MUCH better then the zip tie rout i was going to go!i wonder if my little roto zip thing would cut those!

bellyboo

5 Year Member
nikki0601 said:
It looks great and looks like it makes an excellent tort home, u can put some decor on the outside so u cant tell its even two pieces, I've been wondering how to build something for a hedgehog, I'm stealing your idea, lol

That's what I was thinking too, I could fancy it up a bit. I'm jealous of your hedgehog...those things are adorable! As is the little guy in your siggy. :D

Melly-n-shorty said:
oh wow! it looks great! i don't think your tort is going to mind the cut lines ;-) that could not of been easy to cut at all. I think that would work out MUCH better then the zip tie rout i was going to go!i wonder if my little roto zip thing would cut those!

I'm sure if my hubby would have been home he would have done it in no time, but I was bound and determined to get it done tonight so it would be all ready for my little Hermy in the morning! I started out with sharp scissors, then box cutters, then went on to the hack saw. lol! Used a steak knife some too. This is a Sterilite container and I'm thinking Rubbermaid would have worked better. This stuff cracked in a few places when I was cutting it.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Looks really great! I mean, from a tort perspective, lol! No, really, good job.
You probably need some kind of heat in the upper tub, it can be a plain incandescent or basking light. Make sure you still have a decent fixture with a ceramic base.
If you set your UVB up in the lower enclosure, you might consider adding a piece of slate or tile for basking. But that is only if your temps don't get up toward 95F under the light.
Nice job, I think your tort will find it interesting!

bellyboo

5 Year Member
lynnedit said:
Looks really great! I mean, from a tort perspective, lol! No, really, good job.
You probably need some kind of heat in the upper tub, it can be a plain incandescent or basking light. Make sure you still have a decent fixture with a ceramic base.
If you set your UVB up in the lower enclosure, you might consider adding a piece of slate or tile for basking. But that is only if your temps don't get up toward 95F under the light.
Nice job, I think your tort will find it interesting!

Thanks! I wondered about the heat myself. Since this was sort of a spur-of-the-moment project tonight I didn't quite get to test it all out. I know when it was just the one tote the temps were perfect, so we'll see! I'm adding another light up front irregardless because it's a bit on the dark side. We've got some more tiles to play around with too, so we'll definitely do that.

Thanks for all of the input!

Status
Not open for further replies.