Out Working On My Russians/Marginated Out Enclosure

ohio

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NEOhio
Updated my outdoor Russian enclosure, Hope everyone enjoys. First i made it larger for my creep and added a green house. Still need to work on the landscaping and plants.20160313_103616.jpgThe little part in front will be for my new Marginated Chloe and Zoe, The one on the left will be for unruly male Russians during egg laying season.

Had another post about my enclosures from last year but can't find it.....but someone had said i need to add a top rail. I hope this is sufficient.
20160313_103636.jpg

ohio

5 Year Member
NEOhio
Everything i used on the enclosure has been reclaimed and cost me nothing but time, except[t the new screws. The wood came from a neighbor who was tearing out his old deck, the blocks were free on the side of the road, and i get landscape plants when every i hear of someone doing a tear out or i make cuttings. DO IT ON THE CHEAP!

ohio

5 Year Member
NEOhio
You rock, I'm so computer illiterate.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Wow! That's great. What a wonderful place for tortoises to live. Nice and big. The tree in the middle...is it dead or dormant?

ohio

5 Year Member
NEOhio
The tree is dormant. A quacking aspen. Still have a lot of work. Going to make a rock garden water feature with a tunnel underneath, lots of seeds to sow, and another yard and a half sand to bring in. My tortoise utopia. I also have some dwarf junipers to plant. Like the bat Rue, I'll get those vermin, I bring them in at night until i know they'll be secure.

Reactions: Rue

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
How deep in the ground did you put the sides? I do like your enclosure . And, I live in Ohio too, Youngstown.

ohio

5 Year Member
NEOhio
I have a concrete side walk that goes around the enclosure and its 6 inches deep, it used to be the previous owner above ground pool, i add gravel and the nice hard Ohio clay mix all the way around the inside edge line. I have seen them attempt to dig around the edge but i think they get discouraged in the gravel. It a 30 feet in diameter and i do have sand towards the middle where i have one of my girls hide from me until the next day when they come out to warm up. She was buried in the sand. They have great camouflage. My other pen i put chick wire about two inches down then more gravel and clay mix on top of that. Always a sandy mix in the middle for drainage and nesting. Been busy want to get back out and work on it!

ohio

5 Year Member
NEOhio
I'm up in Ashtabula county, SW corner.

ohio

5 Year Member
NEOhio
Got my water feature and tunnel done...YEAH! My tortoise utopia. Still have some final touches to add. I planted coriopsis, sedum, lambs ear, stone crop sedum, and creeping jenny. I still plan to sow some california poppies and snapdragons around the rocks.
20160318_165529.jpg
20160318_165755.jpg 20160318_165418.jpg
20160318_165916.jpg

20160318_165714.jpg
The pump for my trickling stream is solar power. Ok I've spent 20 buck on it so far. The tunnel was a 14 inch diameter culvert pipe that was scrap from a neighbor. I had them out today.(3-18-16) More to come.

Attachments

• 20160318_165755.jpg
    20160318_165755.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 14

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Nice! I'm in northeast ohio as well....but not in a rural area so I don't have all that space.

ohio

5 Year Member
NEOhio
I bring them in at night, I've lost ducks and chickens to raccoon's. I have also seen coyotes, fox, opossums, etc. Eventullay i will construct a secure night box or preditor safe area. It's a lot moving my torts in and out.

Rue

Canada
We also live in a rural area so I was wondering. ..

I am planning ours. But we only have one tortoise!

ohio

5 Year Member
NEOhio
Last summer i did leave my hermanns out a few times, but i also left my dog out as a security force. Once everyone's a little larger and there hides are constructed better i plan to leave them out 24/7.

Amron

Lancashire. England
What a great outdoor enclosure, I love the recycling and reusing, and of course the saving of the money. What lucky :tort:torts