My first EVER hatched Easterns last night!! Yippee!

Status
Not open for further replies.

foxboysracing

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Oakland, Oregon
Hey all, Yesterday I was shocked to see two of my three Eastern eggs hatch. They were only at 50 days, so I thought I had another 10 days.... but no... They arrived while I was home so that was great!! These are my first hatchlings that I have incubated. I have had many hatchlings, but any from day 0 before. I am on top of the world!!! Woot! Woot!

I am a bit concerned about the huge yoke sack on the smaller one. This picture was taken last night. This morning her yoke sack is half that size and she is alert and walking around. ;)

foxboysracing

10 Year Member!
Oakland, Oregon
Thanks! I am in love! :D The smaller one, is that what they call an extra scute? When the keel line is zig-zagging? The dad has that off set line of color on his back too. Is that a genetic thing? Or a sign of the eggs getting too warm in the incubator? Does anyone know at what point in the process does the sex get determined?

Pameladale

5 Year Member
Congrats! There so cute! What temperature did you have them incubating at? Im still waiting for mine to hatch.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
How EGGCITING'......congrads!!! .. and " welcome to the world lil' buddies"

:D

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Awesome great job!!!!

Sent from my C771 using TortForum mobile app

foxboysracing

10 Year Member!
Oakland, Oregon
I had them at 81 or 82, although our AC went out mid summer and on some really scorching days my house got very warm and I saw them get up to 84/85. That was a tad bit scary. So considering that, I am guessing probably girls? The third egg hasn't hatched yet.....

Sent from my DROID3 using TortForum mobile app

Pameladale

5 Year Member
Re: RE: My first EVER hatched Easterns last night!! Yippee!

Thats what mine are at too. oh wow that is a little scary, did you candle them at all?

foxboysracing

10 Year Member!
Oakland, Oregon
I did. I just used the light on my phone in a dark room. I checked at first for veins about 10-14 days in, and then once half way through for a growing dark spot inside. Sometimes you could see an arm or leg move. ;) So exciting! The third egg still hasn't hatched. It is still alive, when I gently touch the side of it, I can feel it move inside. The other two have their yoke sacks almost gone. They have taken in all those nutrients so I am thrilled. ;) Awesome!

Pameladale

5 Year Member
Re: RE: My first EVER hatched Easterns last night!! Yippee!

Oh wow thats amazing! I wish I knew how old mine are I can see a dark spot & veins but no movement your soo lucky! Thats awesome I didnt know you could feel them moving! where do you live? You should post some pictures of the parents!

luvpetz27

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
How did I miss this thread? These guys are my favorite!! :) :)
They are the cutest!! Lucky you! Enjoy those sweet Easterns!!

foxboysracing

10 Year Member!
Oakland, Oregon
Thanks everyone.The third one hatched last night ;) and after this one started hatching, within about two hours it was completely out of its shell. It has the biggest dark eyes. Awe.. They are all doing well. This is truly awesome! :D :D

foxboysracing

10 Year Member!
Oakland, Oregon
Pameladale said:
Oh wow thats amazing! I wish I knew how old mine are I can see a dark spot & veins but no movement your soo lucky! Thats awesome I didnt know you could feel them moving! where do you live? You should post some pictures of the parents!

I live in Oregon. Thanks! I will probably get scolded for admitting that I picked the eggs up. :/ But, this is what I did... If you mark the top of the egg, and lift it ever so carefully and set it on the light from your cell phone(if you have the flashlight app), if you hold really still, sometimes you can see a leg move in the shadow. That will let you know if its still alive. These guys hatched at 50 days and 52 days. Super cool! :D I will add pictures of the mom and dad soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.