Hatclings first setup?

Status
Not open for further replies.

turtlemann2

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Mid Willamette Valley, Or
Alright so in my searching of old threads internet sites and the like ive come up with conflicting suggestions regarding the first set up hatchlings should go into.

The first is suggested that i have a very simple arrangement so that i can easily locate and moniter the hatchling,

The other is to have a nice natrual terrerium (of which id like to do)

So the question i have for all of you is, what do you do with your hatchlings soon after yoke absorption?

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York

turtlemann2

5 Year Member
i was looking at his site the other night. my only concern was that his hatchlings looked alot larger then the fresh hatchling. i wasnt sure if i should place them in a moist nursery tank for the first few months or not.

after reading even more on turtletails ive decided to do a planted terrium will post pictures when im finished :), but i would still like to know what others do :)

jojodesca

5 Year Member
Bay Area
I don't have anything to contribute to this. However any decision you coe across post it for future hatchling info. do you just let the hatchling absorb the yolk sac...and dont feed until then?

turtlemann2

5 Year Member
jojodesca said:
I don't have anything to contribute to this. However any decision you come across post it for future hatchling info. do you just let the hatchling absorb the yolk sac...and dont feed until then?

From what ive Observed with other brand new hatchlings they will not have any interest in eating until days after the yoke is absorbed. not only will they have no "want" but they are also extremely fragile while the yoke is still out. so its suggest you dont even take them out of the incubator until such time.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
After the hatchling absorbs the yolk sac, you can start feeding very small blood worms, pill bugs, cut up some red wigglers. Anything small that moves is good. Any hatchlings that I found in the garden (when I had my bigger one) were always a little bigger than a hatchling. The only experience with really tiny hatchlings are if someone gave me one. I have a really tiny one now that still had his egg tooth when I got him. For these small ones, I usually put them in a ten gal. tank with a 60 wt night bulb on a zoo med lamp stand, that I can adjust to whatever height I want. I make a little planted viv so that I will be able to find him easily. I can't stress enough how much humidity and moist substrate they need. They dehydrate so fast, especially if you have a heat light. I use a tiny tray for under a bonsai pot for a water dish and a flat piece of tile to feed on. Usually for hatchlings, I start feeding in a seperate little plastic tub with a little bit of warm water. I put this tub into the viv. while they eat. Everyone does things differently....just how I do it. This is my TT. He's outside in the garden now. He was really tiny.
001-25.jpg

002-23.jpg

jojodesca

5 Year Member
Bay Area
turtlemann2 said:
Thanks for the tips terry :), Love your pictures too :)

It looks as if your little TT is going to choke! ;p

lol..I was just thinking that...its like us swallowing a foot long subway sandwich.....in caparison....

pryncesssc

5 Year Member
Chicago IL
Cool pics Terry . Its cool to see the baby so tiny and then all grown up ! And I don't have any experience with tiny tiny turtles but I would probably do a more natural set up (just small) because I like the natural type of enclosures. Even rubbermaid containers work great because u can just cut the lid out for the lights and the humidity will stay really well and they can't see out the sides which I think helps them feel safe ...

Status
Not open for further replies.