My boxie laid more and I need help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raeanncarr1

5 Year Member
So two weeks ago my boxie had two eggs she laid above ground and one was bad but the other looks funny but I keep it just in case and its been two week and it smells fine so is it a good egg ? And she just had two more eggs under ground so I'm not sure what should I do. All of the eggs look funny ImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1366306799.005060.jpgImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1366306813.744276.jpgImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1366306834.179320.jpg and I had her for about a year now and she had no male I have no clue on egg care how long will it take how warm do I keep them

Last edited by a moderator:

thea lester

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New Orleans, LA
Hello! Is your boxie kept outdoors? If so I would just re-bury them where she laid them. There is a possibility that they are fertile, even after a year, but don't count on it. That's great she laid so many! Mine usually only lay 2. Glad she got them all out. Means you are taking good care of her!
If you are in a northern climate however, you might want to incubate the eggs. I don't remember how all to do that. It's been years ago for me. The less you handle them the better, hopefully someone else with better incubation info will reply.
Thea

Raeanncarr1

5 Year Member
ImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1366308462.213272.jpg why do they look like that?

My boxie is indoors

Last edited by a moderator:

theelectraco

5 Year Member
Does she have a male to mate with, if not, they're obviously not fertile.

thea lester

5 Year Member
New Orleans, LA
The eggs can be translucent in sections and leathery in others, even so, sometimes they are still viable. Considering how many eggs she laid, she may not have had enough calcium to grow all four shells properly.
You said you've had her 1 year? I've read that boxies (and some other turtles) can store sperm for years and therefore if she was housed with males before you got her, the well formed eggs may very well be fertilized.
It's a long shot, esp. since the eggs have been moved/weren't fully buried but it's an interesting experiment! Check out this webpage for more info. http://www.marietta.edu/~mcshaffd/boxt/eggs.html
Yours Truly,
Thea

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Raeanncarr1 said:
why do they look like that?

My boxie is indoors

They look like that because they are being kept too dry. You need to put them in dirt and keep the dirt moist.

Status
Not open for further replies.