Boxie laid an egg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dreamwallaby

5 Year Member
So my boxie laid an egg, she hasn't seen a male since at least last spring if she ever saw one. Could it still be fertile? I know they can store sperm pretty long but they can also lay eggs without breeding jut like chickens right?

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Calif.
They can store sperm for years. And yes they will lay eggs that arnt fertile, was it above ground? I would try and incubate it either way

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kingman, Arizona
Incubate the egg. I've always been taught to incubate until the egg stinks, then, and only then are you to throw it out.

Michael in MO

5 Year Member
Dreamwallaby said:
So my boxie laid an egg, she hasn't seen a male since at least last spring if she ever saw one. Could it still be fertile? I know they can store sperm pretty long but they can also lay eggs without breeding jut like chickens right?

I would be more concerned that she surfaced laid a single egg.. I've never had less than 4. You should try to create a nesting area for her and increase her calcium..

RedFootMomma

5 Year Member
My boxie, Gloria, lays a single egg then steps on it : ( she's about 32 years old, so I've never tried incubating. ??

Michael in MO

5 Year Member
RedFootMomma said:
My boxie, Gloria, lays a single egg then steps on it : ( she's about 32 years old, so I've never tried incubating. ??

HA! I've got opportunitic turtles if there's a surface laid egg it's promptly eaten

Dreamwallaby

5 Year Member
How do I create a nesting spot? The egg has turned out to be fertile. :) she laid 2 more, all surface. She laid them a week apart? She has a cuttlebone but doesn't eat it :/

Status
Not open for further replies.