my Boxers minus Franklin ( i have no pic of him yet)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saloli

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
middle river
Last edited by a moderator:

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Very nice little herd you have there. I especially like the one in the third picture from the last. Beautiful boxie.

Saloli

5 Year Member
middle river
The first pic is all four adults. The secound pic is of all three adult females. The third pic is of Dotty (left) and Shelly (right). The fourth pic is of Atsila Daksi. The fifth pic is of Shelly. The next two are of Selu Daksi (of the adults she is the only one who wasn't attacked bby the rat). The next three are of Dotty. and the last two are of Sheldon. Yeah Dotty is a very bright colored female Shelly is the least colored but most adventurous of the group she'll eat pretty much anything. Sheldon is a nut and his eye are a weird pinkish color but he's nice. Selu Daksi is well she is named that because she loves corn (Selu).

yagyujubei said:
Very nice, natural looking habitat.

thanks. what do spp and spb mean?

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
Saloli said:
The first pic is all four adults. The secound pic is of all three adult females. The third pic is of Dotty (left) and Shelly (right). The fourth pic is of Atsila Daksi. The fifth pic is of Shelly. The next two are of Selu Daksi (of the adults she is the only one who wasn't attacked bby the rat). The next three are of Dotty. and the last two are of Sheldon. Yeah Dotty is a very bright colored female Shelly is the least colored but most adventurous of the group she'll eat pretty much anything. Sheldon is a nut and his eye are a weird pinkish color but he's nice. Selu Daksi is well she is named that because she loves corn (Selu).

yagyujubei said:
Very nice, natural looking habitat.

thanks. what do spp and spb mean?

Spb: Sigmochelys Pardalis Babcocki
Spp: Sigmochelys Pardalis Pardalis

Tccarolina

10 Year Member!
CA
Very nice! Especially like the highly patterned one. Do I see missing patches of scutes on some of them? Are you treating this with anything?
Steve

Saloli

5 Year Member
middle river
they were attacked by a rat last winter that got into their brumation chamber. the scutes are not going to regenerate as the turtles are adults. but they were cleaned ad treated with antibiotic but other then that there isn't much to do

Tccarolina

10 Year Member!
CA
That's too bad! I always thought they could regenerate over time, as long as the bone layer is still living. One of my females has an old burn wound that covers about half her shell. All the original scutes are gone from that area, but new keratinous (sp) material has recovered it long ago, so its smooth and black tissue. I assumed it regrew over the bone, but maybe not.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Its really quite amazing. New keratin actually grows UNDER the old bone. But it takes years for the old, dead bone to flake off. You will eventually see the edges of the bone start to lift, then you can gently pick at it and if its ready, it'll pop right off.

My very first box turtle was a 3-toe that had been chewed by my son's new Rott puppy. She had some scrapes right above her head that turned white as the bone died. I could always recognize that turtle in amongst all of the eventual box turtles in the pen because of those marks. After about 15 years, and before I knew that new keratin grew under the area, I stopped seeing her anymore and I was worried that she must have died during hibernation. But, no, what happened was the old bone flaked off and the shell was back to normal-looking. She's hard to recognize because I have several 3-toe females that all look alike, but if I line them all up, I can still pick her out.

Saloli

5 Year Member
middle river
interesting i've never seen it regenerate on turtles that had reach sexual onset, i've seen it in juv.s and hatchlings though so maybe there is hope for them. i hope it turns out.

i wish i had some pictures of whe it happened to compare to but i was more worried about helping relieve any pain i could safely. but ironically they are less picky eaters then when they were outside (not sure why they are eating the samethings)

TKCARDANDCOIN

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Ohio
Wow!Very nice group!I love the big guy at the end with the really pretty eyes.

Status
Not open for further replies.