Happy Birthday Franklin

smarch

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
Yesterday was Franklin's 2nd "birthday" with me. Since we have no idea his age since he came from petco, someone on here told me he was probably around 5, so it was his 7th birthday as well. 2 years ago I took him home and he became a part of my family. Boy had he come a long way, I used to just look at him and he'd pee, I mean who could blame him he was yanked out of the wild he knew and thrown into an unfamiliar world with very large people. But now I can pick him up walk him to outside fine, pet his shell (nope for the head I've tried). Sometimes i'll let him sit on my chest when I'm stressed and he'll burrow right in and feel the warmth and my breathing.
I keep him somewhere between the balance of feed eat watch and snuggley house pet. I know this approach is much different than owners on here but it does work for both of us. he's more-so kept in the look at and leave alone way but we have some special times where i'll put on a movie lay down sit him on my chest and he'll lift his head out and watch the movie (he really likes the colors of ice age by the way!) and if he starts walking around or looking like he wants a place to burrow he goes in his tortoise safe enclosure, but movie nights that happen once every few months are a bonding session unlike anything. He's never pooped or peed on me either because if he's acting stressed I put him back (I actually don't think I've ever had to put him away!) He discovered my ear once and stuck his head right in it to sniff it!!
I know he cant experience "love" for me, but I do feel like he does have a special connection to me he hasn't shown others, but I feel like this has to do with the anxiety and depression I suffer from, they say pets sense those things and Franklin certainly does too, movie nights happen when i'm really down so I think he stays by me because he knows.
Anyways, I know my care isn't how most of you raise tortoises, and i'm by no means saying you should or anything, I just wanted to share our special relationship, since no one on here really speaks of care like mine. I'm not one of those uneducated people who keep there tortoise willy-nilly and pretty much never keep them in a tortoise designated safe area, the only times he's ever out of an enclosure is if he's on me, and while i'm not an expert I know when he's stressed and can leave him be, so please don't criticize my care because it's somewhat different, expressing any concerns is ok, just please don't attack.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-06-27-08-30-47-1.png
    Screenshot_2014-06-27-08-30-47-1.png
    363 KB · Views: 18

Shakudo

5 Year Member
The Netherlands
Well....

That was very personal to read. Very brave of you to share such an intimate thing.

I won't criticize you, I know all about anxiety and depression and the animals I care for are sometimes my own anchor to reality.
I do believe they can sense an emotional aura, so to speak, and I really can't say if they can feel affection, I believe human concepts are too often projected onto animals, and animals are differently "hardwired" then we are. So who knows?

Nevertheless, I believe they can feel emotions, pleasure, anxiety, and perhaps even affection.
I'd like to think they can, but I don't expect it from them. Because I am alone a lot, I have a few animals here, I wanted to create my own little family. And I wouldn't miss them for anything.

You are honest in saying you understand the tortoises needs, and you try not to stress him, by constantly removing him from his enclosure.
If that works for you , it works.

I personally enjoy my tortoise the most when she is stomping around in her enclosure, climbing and exploring, but I also enjoy bath times, where I have the chance to have contact with her. We are sort of creating a routine, and I think everybody has his/her own routine.

I can tell you really care about Franklin, so I don't think you are being uncaring, if he doesn't stress over it, and you keep a vigil eye, then I would say enjoy it.

Take care,

and happy birthday Franklin;)

Joey

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
Well....

That was very personal to read. Very brave of you to share such an intimate thing.

I won't criticize you, I know all about anxiety and depression and the animals I care for are sometimes my own anchor to reality.
I do believe they can sense an emotional aura, so to speak, and I really can't say if they can feel affection, I believe human concepts are too often projected onto animals, and animals are differently "hardwired" then we are. So who knows?

Nevertheless, I believe they can feel emotions, pleasure, anxiety, and perhaps even affection.
I'd like to think they can, but I don't expect it from them. Because I am alone a lot, I have a few animals here, I wanted to create my own little family. And I wouldn't miss them for anything.

You are honest in saying you understand the tortoises needs, and you try not to stress him, by constantly removing him from his enclosure.
If that works for you , it works.

I personally enjoy my tortoise the most when she is stomping around in her enclosure, climbing and exploring, but I also enjoy bath times, where I have the chance to have contact with her. We are sort of creating a routine, and I think everybody has his/her own routine.

I can tell you really care about Franklin, so I don't think you are being uncaring, if he doesn't stress over it, and you keep a vigil eye, then I would say enjoy it.

Take care,

and happy birthday Franklin;)

Joey

I love watching him in his enclosure too, because its so natural and just watching him do what tortoises do is relaxing, his enclosure is on an overhead shelf above my desk so when i'm at my desk he hears me and stops and pears out the front wall of his enclosure to watch me.

You probably know how it is when sometimes you just need physical contact with something to feel connected to the world. I mean the family has a cat and he likes people, but he has a special bond to my sister and the fact that he's not personally mine and I have mild allergies to his fur, he only ever helped some. I actually got Frank after a deep dark depressive episode where I hardly left bed, worried my parents and one day told them I wanted a tortoise. Maybe not brilliant getting such a high maintenance pet when taking care of myself was hard, but right when I got him getting up was easier because I had to wake him up and feed him.
While he may not be able to feel love (I've read many things on here about how reptiles don't have the part of the brain we experience love and affection from) I know he at least feels something for me beyond just knowing I feed him.

I'm brave to post our special bond and my unique way of care because I have no doubts that he's not stressed by it and likes it. Other tortoise keepers may not agree and i'm ok with that because I know 100% in my mind and heart that it is not hurting hin or stressing him, he is special.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Happy birthday Franklin!
He sounds so well-behaved! I got my tortoise from PETCO too, so you know... wild caught. I've tried letting him roam around, but he is always so bad outside of his enclosure! :rolleyes: Oh well, some just have better manners!