My 5 year old star tortoise

[email protected]

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
India
My toto is 5-6 years old. My toto eats every two days since the last month or so. However she has not pooped for nearly 20 days. It this normal?? Or does she have worms. Please advise earliest.

Tort1419

How often do you soak her. If she is dehydrated for long periods of time kidney and or Uric acid stones could start to develop. This could be what's causing her not to poop. Also she could be pooing and you are just not able to find it. Before a very visit I would soak her in like warm water for 15-20 minutes. Most of the time my tortoise pees and poops

[email protected]

5 Year Member
India
We soak her twice a week and she drinks water and sometimes pees in the water. Her diet is mainly french beans, lady fingers, lettuces, tomatoes (rarely) and cucumber. She is nearly 1.5 kgs and does not walk much. She gets enough sunlight.

Tort1419

Not familiar with Indian star tortoises, so I'm not sure about their diet, but I don't think they should be eating the legumes, or cucumbers. I think a more varied diet is needed. This would most likely help her bowel movement. But setting that aside, what about EXERCISE, how large is her enclosure, does she get enough exercise try playing with her( not every day of course) but let her chase you around for food a this might stimulate her bowels

[email protected]

5 Year Member
India
Hi Tort 1419,

Sorry I don't know your name hence I have addressed you as above. Thank you for giving me some advise regarding bowl movement and soaking my toto. I previously used to soak my toto just for 5 o 10 mins. in warm water. Now I keep her soaked for a longer period of say 15 - 20 mins. Also I never ever kept her hungry for long and give her food just in front of her. Hence she never walks much. Now I have kept her hungry for a longer period and then spread her food in different places so that she walk from one place to the other. So she gets some exercise and also bowl movement. She finally pooped after nearly 22-25 days. Thanks once again for your advice.