Need urgent help for my Indian star tortoise

[email protected]

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
India
My star toto is 5 years old, kept indoors. Last 3 weeks she has not been eating/ She weighs 1.20 kgs & her carapace is approx 8" & seems to be a bit soft. She also has lost its sense of smell & right eye is swollen. She does not walk much. Pl advice.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
A very warm welcome to the forum! :tort:

I think that Zeropilot is right:a tort's diet, sunlight and...warmth are extremely important factors. Please keep them in mind and....

Good luck!:)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Give us a run down of her enclosure. Type of UVB she is getting. Are you using the CFL bulbs/coil type? Is so, stop using them ASAP, that could be the eye problems. Also give us Diet and also temps. Do you provide any humidity? Are you letting her roam the house?
Can you get her outside for sun?

[email protected]

5 Year Member
India
My star toto is 5 years old, kept indoors. Last 3 weeks she has not been eating/ She weighs 1.20 kgs & her carapace is approx 8" & seems to be a bit soft. She also has lost its sense of smell & right eye is swollen. She does not walk much. Pl advice.

Thanks for your reply. Yes, we were keeping her indoors and she was exposed to the neon lights in the house. Now since the last few weeks we put her in the sun and she has improved. The swelling of the eye has reduced. Her carapace has slightly hardened. But since she has grown to full size, she eats very less. She still walks very rarely that was because the floor indoors was smooth. Now we keep her out in a pen with mud flooring and slopes. She wants to walk and climb up the slope but due to her being overweight we need to help her climb. Overall, she has improved. I once again thank u all for your advise.