MVB vs florescent uv lighting?

Flipper

Location (City and/or State)
MO, USA
Hello tortoise enthusiasts :)

I just obtained a baby Herman's from Chris :<3: She'll be getting sunshine during the summer months but I'm preparing for cooler weather.

I've noticed many of you prefer MVBs as compared to florescent lighting. I was wondering if you would help me understand the differences and pro verses cons of these two methods of UV lighting for my new tortoise :)

Appreciate any help you can offer :tort:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I use the MVB for 'desert-type' tortoises and the tube fluorescent bulbs for the forest-type tortoises.

I like the idea of heat and UVB all in one fixture, and that's why I started using the MVB. But they were too hot for my YF and Manouria, so I switched them to the tube type and for heat I use either a CHE or an incandescent black light.

Flipper

MO, USA
I use the MVB for 'desert-type' tortoises and the tube fluorescent bulbs for the forest-type tortoises.

I like the idea of heat and UVB all in one fixture, and that's why I started using the MVB. But they were too hot for my YF and Manouria, so I switched them to the tube type and for heat I use either a CHE or an incandescent black light.
That's good to know! Thanks :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
In the past florescent tubes were not very effective as far as UV output. In recent years they have gotten better. The new "T5 HO" bulbs actually put out a decent amount of UV and they don't have to be as close to the animals as the old style ones. These are a good alternative.

The MVBs are a good all in one source, and they tend to put out good UV amounts, but they only come in 100watt or larger sizes. This can work well for some applications, but they are just too hot for some situations.

For most of my applications, I prefer to use a lower wattage basking flood bulb in combination with a long UV tube. This is not right or wrong. Its just my current preferred method. What I am trying to avoid is a small desiccating hot spot under an incandescent bulb. Our basking bulbs tend to really dry out the carapace and can lead to pyramiding in a young growing tortoise.

If you are going to rely on indoor UV for several months out of every year you should really have and UV light meter so you can make sure YOUR bulb in YOUR enclosure is putting out enough usable UV to meet your indoor tortoises needs. This one is the industry standard and I highly recommend it: http://www.solarmeter.com/model65.html
Using a meter is the ONLY way to know if you have the correct amount of UV at the tortoises level. Its no different than using a thermometer to tell your temperatures.

Flipper

MO, USA
In the past florescent tubes were not very effective as far as UV output. In recent years they have gotten better. The new "T5 HO" bulbs actually put out a decent amount of UV and they don't have to be as close to the animals as the old style ones. These are a good alternative.

The MVBs are a good all in one source, and they tend to put out good UV amounts, but they only come in 100watt or larger sizes. This can work well for some applications, but they are just too hot for some situations.

For most of my applications, I prefer to use a lower wattage basking flood bulb in combination with a long UV tube. This is not right or wrong. Its just my current preferred method. What I am trying to avoid is a small desiccating hot spot under an incandescent bulb. Our basking bulbs tend to really dry out the carapace and can lead to pyramiding in a young growing tortoise.

If you are going to rely on indoor UV for several months out of every year you should really have and UV light meter so you can make sure YOUR bulb in YOUR enclosure is putting out enough usable UV to meet your indoor tortoises needs. This one is the industry standard and I highly recommend it: http://www.solarmeter.com/model65.html
Using a meter is the ONLY way to know if you have the correct amount of UV at the tortoises level. Its no different than using a thermometer to tell your temperatures.
Thanks Tom :) that was good info to digest. I'll have to ask for that solar meter for an anniversary present next month from my husband. LOL! Too bad it's sooo pricey. But I really want to do right by Tallula :)