Help with lighting/temp

Rogue097

Location (City and/or State)
Tennessee
Hi there,
I recently built my Russian a table after learning that my last enclosure just wasn’t going to cut it. He previously had the single MVB bulb you see in the pic and that seemed sufficient for the much smaller enclosure and just happened to create a decent temp gradient, but from what I’ve read this isn’t a good idea anyway. I’m thinking he needs more light and I definitely need to create a better temp gradient. It’s 90 under the bulb but flattens out to room temp more quickly then I thought it would now that there’s much more space. If anyone could help with some input I would appreciate it! Lighting has been the more confusing issue for me trying to read through threads. Thank you :)

Attachments

• FEC8C790-4FB3-4EEC-9028-9A0D5F165D7B.jpeg
    FEC8C790-4FB3-4EEC-9028-9A0D5F165D7B.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 17

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi there,
I recently built my Russian a table after learning that my last enclosure just wasn’t going to cut it. He previously had the single MVB bulb you see in the pic and that seemed sufficient for the much smaller enclosure and just happened to create a decent temp gradient, but from what I’ve read this isn’t a good idea anyway. I’m thinking he needs more light and I definitely need to create a better temp gradient. It’s 90 under the bulb but flattens out to room temp more quickly then I thought it would now that there’s much more space. If anyone could help with some input I would appreciate it! Lighting has been the more confusing issue for me trying to read through threads. Thank you :)
This why closed chambers work better. You are fighting physics. The room air freely mixes with the air in the open enclosure, so if the room air isn't the correct temp and humidity, you are simply not going to be able to maintain the correct temp and humidity inside the enclosure. Its equivalent to submerging your margarita in your hot tub. How do you maintain the cold slushy goodness with an open topped margarita "enclosure" when submerged in hot water. Its impossible. Now if you put your margarita in a thermos and seal it up tight, it can float for hours in the hot tub and still maintain the cold deliciousness for you.

Basking temp under the bulb should be 95-100. To warm the rest of the table you can add more bulbs or CHEs around the table, but all that desiccating electric heat is not great for a tortoise, and all that heat is going to go up and into the room, while also causing your electric bill to skyrocket and make your AC run more as it heats up the room.

What is the room temp in that room? What is the over night low? If the room temp isn't too cold, you can probably get away with that single bulb and not have to worry about any of this. Maybe just lower it down a bit more to get the basking temp a little warmer.

Rogue097

Tennessee
This why closed chambers work better. You are fighting physics. The room air freely mixes with the air in the open enclosure, so if the room air isn't the correct temp and humidity, you are simply not going to be able to maintain the correct temp and humidity inside the enclosure. Its equivalent to submerging your margarita in your hot tub. How do you maintain the cold slushy goodness with an open topped margarita "enclosure" when submerged in hot water. Its impossible. Now if you put your margarita in a thermos and seal it up tight, it can float for hours in the hot tub and still maintain the cold deliciousness for you.

Basking temp under the bulb should be 95-100. To warm the rest of the table you can add more bulbs or CHEs around the table, but all that desiccating electric heat is not great for a tortoise, and all that heat is going to go up and into the room, while also causing your electric bill to skyrocket and make your AC run more as it heats up the room.

What is the room temp in that room? What is the over night low? If the room temp isn't too cold, you can probably get away with that single bulb and not have to worry about any of this. Maybe just lower it down a bit more to get the basking temp a little warmer.
Hmm I guess I just automatically assumed enclosed was more for humidity's sake, but what you're saying makes sense. His humidity holds steady at 60%, a bit higher overnight. So I didn't worry too much about that. Room temp for me is 75. The lowest I've seen his cool end get overnight is 69. I've checked several times a day since setting it up and it's usually 71-72 (I assume because it's closer to the AC than my thermostat is). The bulk of the table is 73-77, and then it heats up fairly quickly as you near the light. He definitely favors hanging out under his lamp so I wasn't sure if he was getting cold or he really just prefers to be there. I am adjusting the basking temp like you said.
This table is also new to him, so maybe he won't do much exploring for a bit. I've added some plants and ordered some slate as well to make it more interesting to him hopefully

Sorry if I'm over analyzing with all those numbers I just threw out there. I appreciate the input! :)

Nickolas

Pennsylvania
I keep my whole bedroom at a steady temp of around 82.5. There is still a temp gradient in the sulcata enclosure though. I have other reptiles and amphibians in there too. It's less my room and more their room now?

Nickolas

Pennsylvania
The sulcata is of course a hatchling, and so it doesn't need a ginormous amount of space YET.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hmm I guess I just automatically assumed enclosed was more for humidity's sake, but what you're saying makes sense. His humidity holds steady at 60%, a bit higher overnight. So I didn't worry too much about that. Room temp for me is 75. The lowest I've seen his cool end get overnight is 69. I've checked several times a day since setting it up and it's usually 71-72 (I assume because it's closer to the AC than my thermostat is). The bulk of the table is 73-77, and then it heats up fairly quickly as you near the light. He definitely favors hanging out under his lamp so I wasn't sure if he was getting cold or he really just prefers to be there. I am adjusting the basking temp like you said.
This table is also new to him, so maybe he won't do much exploring for a bit. I've added some plants and ordered some slate as well to make it more interesting to him hopefully

Sorry if I'm over analyzing with all those numbers I just threw out there. I appreciate the input! :)
Those numbers sound fantastic. I don’t think you need to change anything. You could add a second basking flood bulb near the other one to create a larger warm area if you want, but I don’t think that is even necessary with the temperatures that you have.

Rogue097

Tennessee
I keep my whole bedroom at a steady temp of around 82.5. There is still a temp gradient in the sulcata enclosure though. I have other reptiles and amphibians in there too. It's less my room and more their room now?
Someday I would love to have a whole room like this ?

Rogue097

Tennessee
Those numbers sound fantastic. I don’t think you need to change anything. You could add a second basking flood bulb near the other one to create a larger warm area if you want, but I don’t think that is even necessary with the temperatures that you have.
Okay great! That makes me feel better. Thank you again!

Nickolas

Pennsylvania
@Rogue097 My mattress is on top of a 4x8 tegu enclosure...I sleep with the fear of falling 4 feet onto a hardwood floor. I'm sure I couldn't be hurt that badly, but it would sure scare the crap out of me! I do not like sleeping in that temperature, so I usually sleep on the couch or livingroom floor anyway. Also, when you sleep above a tegu...bam! Bam! Bam! All night!!!
He digs soooo much! I swear he makes his water filthy 30 seconds after I refill it!
We love all of our creatures anyway- at least we tolerate some, like my cats?