MVB life?

Taylor T.

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New England
My Powersun bulb burned out today. Does anyone know how long they should last? I've only had it for a year and a half. it's on twelve hours a day and it was off all summer when Taylor was in his outdoor enclosure. is there a different brand that lasts longer?

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
Six months to one year is the replacement time for UVB output - that goes before the bulb does. I am not sure once you're past the UVB function of the bulb how long they are expected to last.

Taylor T.

5 Year Member
New England
So I guess I'll just get another one then. Thank you for replying.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Some people are now saying that at least some of the MVBs stop producing UV at 3 months.

UV output is going to drop off long before the bulb quits working. If you rely on these bulbs for UV its important that you know this.

Taylor T.

5 Year Member
New England
Oh wow, does that mean Taylor might have been without UVB for six months? Will he be OK?

DPtortiose

Solar raptor and Megaray bulbs last about a year, both produce good UV levels. I'd recommend either of these brands.

No, the brand your currently uses recommends a new bulb every six months. So it's likely the bulb didn't produce suitable levels for a bit longer.

Honestly unless an animal has severe causes of MBD it's hard for anyone who isn't a vet to tell if your animal is ill or not.

Taylor T.

5 Year Member
New England
OK, I think I'll get one of the Mega-Ray bulbs. Thank you for responding.