MVB questions..

Smile

5 Year Member
So my supplies arrived today and I thought I'd set everything up for my tortoise that's arriving on Tuesday. The last thing I set up was the MVB and upon setting it up, I noticed two things. I had it on for about three minutes so that I can test the temps a bit and the first thing I noticed was that when I first connected it, the light coming from the bulb was orange-like, sort of like regular household bulbs. After about a couple of seconds, the light changed from orange to white, kind of like how aquarium lights are. The second thing that I noticed was that the bulb was giving out a weird smell as if something was burning... are these things that happened normal? I've never had a UVB before because I've only kept nocturnal animals throughout my life as a reptile keeper, so I don't know if these things are supposed to happen or not...

The bulb is an Exo Terra Solar-Glo 125W MVB if that helps.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
OH, USA
What wattage is the lamp? It shouldn't smell that way, and I can only think that the bulb wattage is too high for the lamp.

Smile

5 Year Member
What wattage is the lamp? It shouldn't smell that way, and I can only think that the bulb wattage is too high for the lamp.
The lamp holds up to 160W I think, it's the bigger ZooMed Deep Dome fixture of the two available.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
o_O I'm sorry, I just don't know then!! I heard deep domes hold a lot of heat inside themselves, maybe that's it??

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Sometimes bulbs (or heaters) will have a smell at first if there is anything on the surface of the bulb.

Smile

5 Year Member
Sometimes bulbs (or heaters) will have a smell at first if there is anything on the surface of the bulb.
There's nothing under it, the deep dome is designed so that MVBs don't touch the surface. Am I supposed to let it burn in or something? It's brand new, so that might be it.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
I was referring to contaminants on the surface of the bulb. It's like turning on a heater for the first time every year.

I would keep an eye on it and see if the smell goes away after a while.

Smile

5 Year Member
I was referring to contaminants on the surface of the bulb. It's like turning on a heater for the first time every year.

I would keep an eye on it and see if the smell goes away after a while.
Oh, I touched it with my hands and created finger prints on the milky-white bottom of the MVB by mistake, could that be it?

Smile

5 Year Member
Think you guys missed it, but the light changed colors as well (from orange to white)... is this normal?

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Yes, it takes time for the bulb to warm up.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
When the bold has cooled down go-getter wipe the fingerprints off so that the surface is nice and clean. Also turn the bulb on without your tortoise under it for around 100 hours. They need a burn in time when you first get them.

Smile

5 Year Member
When the bold has cooled down go-getter wipe the fingerprints off so that the surface is nice and clean. Also turn the bulb on without your tortoise under it for around 100 hours. They need a burn in time when you first get them.
How will I know when the bulb has finally cooled down?

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I would say give it at least a half hour. It should be cool enough to handle by then. Just wipe off the whole thing with a clean cloth and don't touch the bulb with your fingers.

Smile

5 Year Member
I would say give it at least a half hour. It should be cool enough to handle by then. Just wipe off the whole thing with a clean cloth and don't touch the bulb with your fingers.
Cool enough to handle while it's on? Aren't these bulbs supposed to get very hot? Haha.

Anyways, I turned it on earlier and the burning smell went away to an extent. I'll let it sit for for about 30 minutes at a time tomorrow and on Monday before the tortoise arrives.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
No, wait till the bulb has been off for about 30 minutes to cool down and then wipe it off. Then you can turn it back on again and run it continually, or at least 12 hours at a time, to get the burn in time done before your tortoise gets here.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The smell is normal and it should "burn off" in an hour or two. The color change is normal too.

I wouldn't use a deep dome fixture and I wouldn't use a fixture that is only rated to 160 watts. Deep dome fixtures can cause MVB to over heat and shorten their lifespan. I prefer to use the 11" aluminum domed fixtures from Home Depot. They cost $12, have a ceramic base, come with a heavy duty cord, and are rated to 250 watts.

I've never used a "burn in" time for any MVB, not that it will hurt anything if you do.

T0rtug@

5 Year Member
Illinois
The smell is normal and it should "burn off" in an hour or two. The color change is normal too.

I wouldn't use a deep dome fixture and I wouldn't use a fixture that is only rated to 160 watts. Deep dome fixtures can cause MVB to over heat and shorten their lifespan. I prefer to use the 11" aluminum domed fixtures from Home Depot. They cost $12, have a ceramic base, come with a heavy duty cord, and are rated to 250 watts.

I've never used a "burn in" time for any MVB, not that it will hurt anything if you do.
I have been searching everywhere to find a 250 watt Aluminum domed fixture. No luck yet. I really want to use a MVB but I'm shopping through Amazon and I see these reviews that don't make the other deep domed fixtures by Zoo Med seem safe for a MVB. So confusing!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California