mushrooms?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aktech23

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I have mushrooms popping up in my yard, and discovered my sully loves to eat them.

are they ok?

i have no idea what kind they are, I'm in phoenix.

do these guys know what to eat and what not to eat?

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Washington
Some people think that torts won't eat anything that would hurt them (or at least not in large quantities). Most people make sure that there isn't anything dangerous or toxic in an enclosure. They should have the natural instinct to tell them so though, but I personally wouldn't rely on that if it could be life or death.

To be safe, I'd take a photo and try to identify the type on the internet to figure out what to do about it. Mushrooms aren't part of the natural diet of a Sulcata so personally I wouldn't let the tort eat them. My opinion though. I know sometimes that could be tough since they grow fast and you're hopefully not using any pesticides.

aktech23

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I'll try to find grab a photo next time i find them.
we had rain yesterday so I might not see them again. it was unusual.

when i found him he looked like he was in heaven.

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
i know box turtles eat mushrooms no problem, but i coulnt tell you if sulcatas can

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Most of the lists say NO to mushrooms they are particularly focusing on the wild or the toad stool.
My Greeks and DT eat mushrooms, baby bellas (portabella mushrooms) brown mushrooms and the white you buy in the stores. I do not however let them eat the ones that spring up in the yard.

Recently I had some that grew that are the loveliest yellow. Thankfully they are in a pot so my torts can't get to them. They say Yellow mushrooms are supposedly highly toxic.

aktech23

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I'v started checking the yard in the morning before work and get rid of them. It is rare to see these around my house.
I'll grab a picture if I find more of these.

they are not yellow, or toadstools.

I think they are these:
00-8-13-07-044.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.