Mushrooms

Status
Not open for further replies.

pdelpizzo

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Broward County
I'm currently working on establishing an outdoor balcony garden/grazing area for my Russian tortoises. I've planted some grasses and a mix of other things in a planter box but due to what I'm assuming is a drainage issue, there have been very small white mushrooms popping up (maybe about 1/8 inch wide heads when fully open). I'm working on improving the drainage and their reproduction seems to slow and even stop as the soil dries out but once it's watered they start coming right back.

I live in the San Diego area and after looking at many photos on line, it seems they most resemble the genus coprinus. That is based on no preexisting knowledge of the subject and is just a best guess from what I've seen.

Is this something to be overly concerned about? I'm going to try to improve the drainage but I was wondering if I need to be worried about the health of my Russians once I start introducing them to this environment. I can take photos of the mushrooms if anyone might actually be able to identify them.

Thanks!

Patrick Del Pizzo
San Diego

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
Post up your pictures, I'd like to see them. The Coprinus genus has undergone some serious taxanomic changes recently (many have been re-assigned to a new genus), I'm interested to see what you've got.

On the whole, the old Coprinus genus weren't regarded as being too toxic (versus something like the genus Amanita). Obviously, there are some that will make you sick, but I wouldn't be overly concerned yet.

pdelpizzo

10 Year Member!
Broward County
Here are a couple photos. Any idea what these are and if they are dangerous for my Russians?

Attachments

• IMG_1531.JPG
    IMG_1531.JPG
    209.1 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_1534.JPG
    IMG_1534.JPG
    105.5 KB · Views: 33

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
Great shots! Your Coprinus guess was right on the money! I wouldn't be overly concerned with these, the group is generally pretty mild as far as toxins go.

If the caps aren't turning to ink, it could be Coprinus disseminatus - but they don't look to be as clustered as this species generally is, and C. disseminatus primarily grows on stumps and/or buried wood.

Usually these fruiting bodies change quite a bit over time, so I'm not sure if they're going to curl or ink, but there are a couple others that I would guess it could be without doing any spore prints and/or looking under a scope:

C. lagopus - I'm skeptical of this one, usually the cap starts to curl at the margins all the way up to the center of the cap. I'd guess this isn't it.
Parasola plicatilis (Syn. Coprinus plicatilis) - These start out bell shaped, then flatten out - like a parachute. If this one is remaining bell shaped, probably not it.
Parasola leiocephala

I'm not sure if that was any help, I'm not entirely sure what you have there, but those should give you a good start...?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I've done some research into the mushroom thing. From what I can tell, they are sometimes very difficult to identify, even for "experts". There are many look alike species. Some of them are not toxic at all and some of them are deadly. I decided the safest bet was to simply eliminate them and any possible risk with them. You might identify it correctly and it might be a harmless species, BUT, what if you are wrong? I'm not willing to bet my tortoises life on MY ability, or lack thereof, to ID mushroom species.

... just my way of looking at it.

pdelpizzo

10 Year Member!
Broward County
Tom said:
I've done some research into the mushroom thing. From what I can tell, they are sometimes very difficult to identify, even for "experts". There are many look alike species. Some of them are not toxic at all and some of them are deadly. I decided the safest bet was to simply eliminate them and any possible risk with them. You might identify it correctly and it might be a harmless species, BUT, what if you are wrong? I'm not willing to bet my tortoises life on MY ability, or lack thereof, to ID mushroom species.

... just my way of looking at it.

So how do you eliminate them? Is it simply a matter of improving the drainage? Could these have come with the organic soil I bought?

Redstrike said:
Great shots! Your Coprinus guess was right on the money! I wouldn't be overly concerned with these, the group is generally pretty mild as far as toxins go.

If the caps aren't turning to ink, it could be Coprinus disseminatus - but they don't look to be as clustered as this species generally is, and C. disseminatus primarily grows on stumps and/or buried wood.

Usually these fruiting bodies change quite a bit over time, so I'm not sure if they're going to curl or ink, but there are a couple others that I would guess it could be without doing any spore prints and/or looking under a scope:

C. lagopus - I'm skeptical of this one, usually the cap starts to curl at the margins all the way up to the center of the cap. I'd guess this isn't it.
Parasola plicatilis (Syn. Coprinus plicatilis) - These start out bell shaped, then flatten out - like a parachute. If this one is remaining bell shaped, probably not it.
Parasola leiocephala

I'm not sure if that was any help, I'm not entirely sure what you have there, but those should give you a good start...?

Coprinus disseminatus seems to be the closest of the ones you listed. They do cluster somewhat and I have a feeling if I didn't keep pulling them they might cluster more so. Also, I have noticed them attached to small pieces of wood when I pull them out of the soil. They don't seem to ink. They appear to just dry up if left alone.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I agree with Tom...the better to be safe than sorry moto....I too would feel terrible if I were to let my buddies eat the wrong thing...

You said that if you provide better drainage then they do not appear, or not as much anyways....so I would suggest, providing better drainage..:D

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
I'd try to dry the area out, if possible, in conjunction with removing as much of the wood material as you can. I wouldn't recommend a fungicide, as these are generally quite toxic to most vertebrates as well.

Wish there was more we could do for you!

Status
Not open for further replies.