Murray’s first trip outdoors

NamedNut

Location (City and/or State)
SW Washington
He’s been outside for 1.5 hrs so far and has pooped 6 times! He normally poops once a day or maybe every other day.

What does this mean?

Do I need to increase temp at the tortoise table?

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Those plastic tubs can get very hot quickly. What about his water pool?

NamedNut

SW Washington
Those plastic tubs can get very hot quickly. What about his water pool?
69* air temp, 85* substrate in sun, 68* substrate in shade, rock is 100*. He’s only getting 2hrs outside as we have to leave. Otherwise i’d have his water dish in there. Substrate is also very wet, I’ve actually sprayed it twice. We’re sitting here closely monitoring with the temp gun.

But like I asked, please don’t judge the tub, it’s temporary.

Krista S

Platinum Tortoise Club
Saskatchewan
He’s been outside for 1.5 hrs so far and has pooped 6 times! He normally poops once a day or maybe every other day.

What does this mean?

Maybe being outside for the first time scared the 💩 out of him?! 😂

Sometimes moving them out of their comfy and familiar enclosure can cause extra bowel movements. I don’t necessarily think it’s a bad thing or something you need to worry about. They do need to be in a certain temperature range to be able to digest their food. If your enclosure temps are within the guidelines explained in the temperate species thread, then no, you don’t need to increase temps. If he’s been scrambling around in the tub, that can encourage bowel movements too. That’s one of the many reason why we always preach about having large enclosures. All the roaming and exploring helps aid in digestion too. I’m not sure any of this helps ease your mind, but I really don’t think you have anything to worry about. I’d just recommend giving him a good soak to make sure he’s nicely rehydrated after his time in the great outdoors.

NamedNut

SW Washington
Maybe being outside for the first time scared the 💩 out of him?! 😂

Sometimes moving them out of their comfy and familiar enclosure can cause extra bowel movements. I don’t necessarily think it’s a bad thing or something you need to worry about. They do need to be in a certain temperature range to be able to digest their food. If your enclosure temps are within the guidelines explained in the temperate species thread, then no, you don’t need to increase temps. If he’s been scrambling around in the tub, that can encourage bowel movements too. That’s one of the many reason why we always preach about having large enclosures. All the roaming and exploring helps aid in digestion too. I’m not sure any of this helps ease your mind, but I really don’t think you have anything to worry about. I’d just recommend giving him a good soak to make sure he’s nicely rehydrated after his time in the great outdoors.
Thanks Krista!

He definitely seemed to enjoy it! Just concerned me that maybe he wasn’t getting warm enough on his table. I’ll read the care guide again, but I’m 99% sure I’m hitting all the temperatures laid out in the guide.

Thank you again. :)

Regarding his outside enclosure, I have an old 8’x20’(ish), might be 15’ dog kennel that’s going to become his outdoor enclosure. Just need to do some serious yard work to get it setup, so unfortunately that’s a few months out at best. So will be limited to a small tub for now.

I do have some 60” diameter kiddie pools I could use, but concerned the sides won’t be tall enough after I add fir bark.

Krista S

Platinum Tortoise Club
Saskatchewan
Thanks Krista!

He definitely seemed to enjoy it! Just concerned me that maybe he wasn’t getting warm enough on his table. I’ll read the care guide again, but I’m 99% sure I’m hitting all the temperatures laid out in the guide.

Thank you again. :)

Regarding his outside enclosure, I have an old 8’x20’(ish), might be 15’ dog kennel that’s going to become his outdoor enclosure. Just need to do some serious yard work to get it setup, so unfortunately that’s a few months out at best. So will be limited to a small tub for now.

I do have some 60” diameter kiddie pools I could use, but concerned the sides won’t be tall enough after I add fir bark.
Yeah, he’d for sure escape the kiddie pool. The tub you’re using in the interim is just fine, knowing something better is on the horizon. He probably feels pretty secure in it with the tall walls too. It’s better than no outside time, that’s for sure. I do the same thing like you explained about being close by, armed with the temp gun and moving the enclosure around if needed to make sure there’s some shade. I also bring out the pressure sprayer I use to spray down his enclosure each morning. Their shells seem to be a magnet for heat, so if I get too high of a temp reading on my tortoises shell, it magically starts to rain. 😂

NamedNut

SW Washington
Yeah, he’d for sure escape the kiddie pool. The tub you’re using in the interim is just fine, knowing something better is on the horizon. He probably feels pretty secure in it with the tall walls too. It’s better than no outside time, that’s for sure. I do the same thing like you explained about being close by, armed with the temp gun and moving the enclosure around if needed to make sure there’s some shade. I also bring out the pressure sprayer I use to spray down his enclosure each morning. Their shells seem to be a magnet for heat, so if I get too high of a temp reading on my tortoises shell, it magically starts to rain. 😂
I love magic rain, wish someone would spray me when I get hot. I turn into Lucifer when I get hot.

What shell temp do you start to consider being to hot?

I’m probably going to go buy a bigger bin, I know they have one nearly twice the size.

Krista S

Platinum Tortoise Club
Saskatchewan
I love magic rain, wish someone would spray me when I get hot. I turn into Lucifer when I get hot.

What shell temp do you start to consider being to hot?

I’m probably going to go buy a bigger bin, I know they have one nearly twice the size.
If I get a temp reading of 110 or higher, it starts raining. lol. I still soak my tortoise everyday (even though he is almost 4 years old) so I know he’s very well hydrated, but temps around that 110 mark make me uncomfortable.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

What does this mean?

It means he is stressed because he is an an unfamiliar area.