Lighting combo question

Boris&Nellie

Location (City and/or State)
Burlington vt
I just upgrade my tort's enclosure to a new tortoise table (3x6 feet?) and I am currently in the process of getting his lights set up. My plan is to have 2 bulbs that screw into some fixtures on the warm end and then tube on the cool end.

For the cool end I just bought a Zilla tropical series 25 T8 fluorescent tube bulb (15w).

For the warm side I already have a ceramic bulb that just emits heat so that takes care of one corner, but i still need to take care of the other corner of the warm side. I have heard good things about the MVB bulbs but they are a bit out of my price range at the moment, so I was wondering if getting a basking UVA/heat bulb would be sufficient?

I am hoping that the tube in the cooler end would suffice for UVB output and the warmer end would still have enough heat and light + UVA.

Thoughts?

HLogic

5 Year Member
Florida, USA
25 microwatts is a little low. Is it a dual tube fixture for the UVB bulbs?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
If you feel that your tube provides adequate UV then you can just use a regular incandescent flood bulb for some heat and light on the other end. I use 65 watt floods and I adjust their height to get the correct basking temperature under them.

How many tortoises are in this enclosure? Russians?

Boris&Nellie

Burlington vt
Just 1 Russian- I went to get a fixture for the bulb but had no luck in finding anything that worked so I actually went back to the pet store and got the Zilla Slimline Desert Fixture 18" 50 UVB

Boris&Nellie

Burlington vt
I think I might return the 25 bulb I originally bought and swap it for a basking bulb and call it a day. Do you think a 100W basking bulb would be a good wattage?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
...and got the Zilla Slimline Desert Fixture 18" 50 UVB

I'm not familiar with that particular bulb and I've never put a meter under one, so I can't tell you how effective they are, or are not.

Will the tortoise be able to get some sunshine in a nice, safe, large outdoor enclosure during the warmer months? If yes, then you should be fine either way.

Boris&Nellie

Burlington vt
Yes I'm planning on building him an outdoor pen once its a little warmer out. Thank you for all of your help!