more pics of enclosure..still temp troubles

Status
Not open for further replies.

yankeeslover

5 Year Member
my new greek tortoise. I am now using a 160 mvb and a 150 watt ceramic heater..its still 100 degrees under light, but as you see where the heater is pointing it still only around 72 degrees or so. if I junk the ceramic heater and get plexi glass to sit over half the enclosure will that hold in some more heat? its 4x3 the enclosure is..room is around 70 degrees at room temp.. I can buy a 2x3 piece of plexi glass, and take off the other heater on the cool end of enclosure... he is currently inside that corner hide which is around 68 degrees all day.. he will come out and bask under the solor glo light around mid day.. he still not eating much.. but I only had him for 4 days now so im sure its normal..he still goes inside shell for 20 minutes at a time when he sees someone, ... please help..thanks

Attachments

• 20130313_094420.jpg
    20130313_094420.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 68

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
A lot of the heat from the emitter dissipates and flows upward from the end of the bell. That's why its a good idea to get rid of the clamp and hang the emitter so it points straight down.

Spn785

5 Year Member
Mid-Missouri
Those temps actually sound pretty good to me for a greek. I would definitely stop using the clamps either way, because they sometimes fail and that can start a fire and possibly kill your tortoise.

yankeeslover

5 Year Member
so let me get this right.... your saying I should get rid of the clamp but keep the emitter? hook it up the same way that I have the mvb setup? will the 150 watt emitter be too much pointed right down? I don't want two basking points of 100 degrees... and I thaught the temps should be more around 80 degrees and not 70 around the outside of the enclosure... .also any tips on hanging this emitter? that piece of equipment to hang the other light was $40.00..any cheaper way to do this or am I stuck buying another piece and another dome that hangs? you think this all is better then getting the plexi glass and getting rid of the emitter? thank you

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I see a few issues.

1. Yvonne is right. Make a frame of 2x4s over your enclosure and hang those lamps so they point straight down. This way you can adjust their height to get the temps you want. Those clamps always fail eventually and your whole house could burn down. Seriously. This happens on a regular basis all over the country. Whatever you do, secure those lamps. Do not rely on those clamps.

2. If you pack the coir down with your hand, it will be a lot less messy.

3. That water bowl is a death trap. Many tortoises have drowned in those. Go buy a $2 terra cotta plant saucer from any hardware store and sink it into the substrate a bit. If your tortoise isn't comfortable with its water source, it might just avoid it.

4. If its 100 right under your MVB and the rest of the enclosure is 72, you should be fine for a Greek tortoise. Night temps in the 60s are also fine according to GB, who is the main guy I listen to about Testudo species. PM him a link to this this and ask for some help, if you like. His username is "GBTortoises". He's a great guy and super experienced.

yankeeslover

5 Year Member
if 100 is ok under the light, and 70-72 is ok around the rest of the enclosure then I will probably just junk the ceramic heater and buy that 2x3 plexi glass, this way I don't have to bother with two domes and maybe the plexi glass will hold in some of the heat from the mvb? I hate the idea of running two domes... do you think this would work better? if not, how do I do this 2x4 frame? the dome only has clamps on it, if I take off the clamps then there is nothing to hang it from... I rather try the plexi glass, but if its waste of money to buy glass then I wont bother...

Spn785

5 Year Member
Mid-Missouri
yankeeslover said:
if 100 is ok under the light, and 70-72 is ok around the rest of the enclosure then I will probably just junk the ceramic heater and buy that 2x3 plexi glass, this way I don't have to bother with two domes and maybe the plexi glass will hold in some of the heat from the mvb? I hate the idea of running two domes... do you think this would work better? if not, how do I do this 2x4 frame? the dome only has clamps on it, if I take off the clamps then there is nothing to hang it from... I rather try the plexi glass, but if its waste of money to buy glass then I wont bother...

This can work, just don't put the plexi-glass directly under the MVB since that will stop the UVB from reaching the tortoise. I don't think you really need it though. I would PM a link to this thread to GBTortoises, he is very friendly, has no problem answering questions, and is extremely knowledgeable and experienced.

Rogue

5 Year Member
Centennial, CO
Do you have your MVB in a small dome? The basking spot looks a bit small. Maybe using a larger deep dome will allow the light to spread out over more of the floor and heat up more of the enclosure.

You can try a piece of scrap plywood over the cool end to see if that helps maintain some heat. If it works, then you can get a piece of plexiglass cut for a custom fit.

yankeeslover

5 Year Member
mvb is in a large deep dome... 160 watt..its the exoterra solar glo..should I have gotten the zoomed power sun instead?

Spn785

5 Year Member
Mid-Missouri
yankeeslover said:
mvb is in a large deep dome... 160 watt..its the exoterra solar glo..should I have gotten the zoomed power sun instead?

Probably, but just remember that for when you get your next MVB. I got a Solar Glo too, and although it was a great deal cheaper (I spent $7 on it shipped), I think I will eventually replace it with a PowerSun.

jmhoesch

5 Year Member
DSC01037.JPGWe have one of those mercury all in one bulbs. It's pointed straight down in the tank. We cut out the mesh so there's nothing in the way.

It's 95-100 in the basking spot and the rest of the enclosure is around 75-80.

Our guy seems like this............ here's a pic.

Last edited by a moderator:

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
I don't like using the purchased hangers for the lamps... I prefer building my own out of wood. A 'gallows' type would probably work just fine, using 1x2s that intersect like an upside-down L, with a triangular piece of wood in the 'elbow' where the two meet. I am sure you can find a way to secure the lamp on there, hanging straight down. Maybe wrapping the cord around the top and fastening that securely with wire or a metal bracket and some screws? Does the dome have holes in it at the top that a hanger can be rigged through? Just stay conscious of fire hazards as you choose materials.

I wouldn't cover the enclosure with plexi glass, as that would severely stagnate the air, and it would trap humidity. Except for babies, Greeks don't like to be in a humid environment.

Someone may have already mentioned this, but until your tortoise starts eating, you should soak him in warm water for at least 15 mins daily. I use a kitty litter pan, filled with about 1-1.5 inches of warm water.

Status
Not open for further replies.