new greek enclosure pics? also what subspecies? thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.

yankeeslover

5 Year Member
here are some pics of my new tortoise and his/her enclosure..does this look ok? the mvb light is around 13 inches above substrate.. its about 100 degrees right below..on the outer edges and inside hide is around 70 degrees... is this ok?.. also is this enough uvb light for him? doesn't light up the whole 4x3 enclosure but looks like most of it is light.... also any idea what the subspecies is? I have no way how to tell.... male, female??? thanks for help

20130311_162359.jpg
20130311_162412.jpg
20130311_162422.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

lq558

5 Year Member
Tg.terrestris, or a smaller subspecies Tg.floweri whose tail has a black color spot in the middle.

Kathleen

5 Year Member
I don't know an answer to your question but I interested in the answers you get. I'm also wondering about microclimates for a Greek. Where did you get your Greek?

Rogue

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Centennial, CO
He/she is a great looking tortoise! Does he/she hang out around the basking light primarily during the day? If so, the single MVB might be ok for UVB, but personally I'd add another small UVB tube over the feeding/soaking area just to ensure he/she gets sufficent UVB, plus it will illuminate more of the enclosre to simulate daylight. A UVB tube also add a little bit of heat (not much, mayber 3-5 degress), so that might also help with the ambient temps, which IMO are a bit low for daytime. Adding a partial plexiglass cover might also help with maintaining some heat, as long as it doesn't raise the humidity too much.

Please take some pics of the plastron/tail, maybe one of the experts can help with sexing.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Your tortoise is considered by most to be Testudo gracea floweri, some do consider it to be part of the T. g. terrestris subspecies. Either way, it is of Middle Eastern origin. There is considerable confusion and dispute in terms of Greek subspecies identification. This is especially true of the Middle Eastern group. Depending upon which research you choose to believe there could be anywhere from a half dozen to well over a dozen subspecies of Middle Eastern Gracea. Generally all the Middle Eastern origin Greeks can be maintained in the same way. Daytime temperatures should be in the high 70's to low 80's with a basking area of 95-105 degrees. Night time temperatures should be just above 60 to 70 degrees (no warmer though). Ambient humidity should be in the 50-60% range, slightly higher is fine as long as temperatures are warm. Middle Eastern Greeks do not tolerate dampness well, but they do require a moderate amount of humidity and soil moisture as well as constant access to drinking water. Because of their Middle Eastern origin they are accustomed to long days and intense light. Their enclosure should be flooded with intense UV light for 14-15 hours a day but they do also require adequate shade and dark hiding areas to escape the intense light during the day and for sleeping at night.

Status
Not open for further replies.