Mix Blood tortoises

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I don't know what percentage of the tortoises in China are WC. The ones that I have seen from various Asian countries where the people were asking me for help have all been CB. The people said they were, and they appeared to be to me from pictures.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I know a lot of black market tortoises come through China. I'm by no means bashing China or its poeple . But again I haven't been to China to know the pet trade practices . But I do watch alot of Discovery Channel. They show alot of endangered species trading going through there. If people don't quarantine animals they can get others sick and kill the whole group . I for one would like to see how this little guy grows . A science project if you will . The deed has been done so let it play out . But make sure this is not encouraged .
By the way Tom I like you and your input . Without your advice this forum would suffer.

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
I totally respect everyone's opinion. But I think we should be a tad bit more welcoming even if we disagree with a picture or practice. Way to many members have come and gone or are afraid to ever post anything for fear of such ridicule. I for one would like to see more participation from newer members but responses like this post has gotten greatly discourages it. Regardless of how much we protest for or against such practices people will do what they want to with THEIR tortoises and I will do what I want with mine.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
How about, "Thanks for posting the picture, Gromit. While I don't approve of the practice of breeding two different species, I must admit that is an awfully pretty tortoise."

Now please, everyone...The Captain has warned you once. No more off topic discussions. I'm sure Gromit wishes they never ever came to our lovely forum.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
What a beautiful tortoise. It will be interesting to see how it continues to develop as it grows up and to what size it becomes.

compassrose26

5 Year Member
Michigan
I don't know much about this subject, but I think that no matter what your opinion is on a topic you should never state and opinion as a fact. Other people will have a different opinion than you and you should respect that. I believe people should always be able to express their opinion, and by all means try to kindly persuade others to change their opinion, but being kind about it will always be better. This is why I don't go on this forum much anymore.

Hybrids happen all the time with other species... I don't understand what the problem is in captivity if they are being closely monitored for health and not introduced to wild tortoises. Again, I don't know much.

emysbreeder

5 Year Member
Mixing species is a dangerous practice and often leads to the death of one or all of the participants for a variety of reasons. Someone either did this accidentally, which denotes irresponsibility on at least some level, or they did it on purpose, which is despicable in my opinion. While radiata might be more common in the trade now than ever, they are still and endangered species and if they are going to reproduce (which I think should be encouraged) they should be reproducing with their own species. For that matter, as common as they are in captivity, sulcatas are highly endangered in the wild too. Much more so than radiata in fact. Sulcatas are extinct in at least two countries of origin and likely a few more.

Because the harm is not obvious to you, does not mean it doesn't exist.
How does it lead to death? emysbreeder

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Hello gromit, welcome to the forum. First I would like to say that I think the Tortoise is beautiful. I will not get into the debate about how it came to be. The important thing is that as it is well taken care of so it has a long happy life. I applaud you for making a post that you might know may lead to ridicule. Sometimes there is a certain amount of vulnerability posting on a forum like this. At least that's how I feel sometimes. But know that there is some very good information here and I hope it helps you and your Tortoise.