Mite identification?

MacLachlan

Location (City and/or State)
Charleston, South Carolina
Got substrate from a local hardware store a couple of weeks ago, have never had a problem with mites or wood flies before. Found several of these scurrying around in the substrate, anyone got a good idea what they are based on the fairly terrible picture quality I have to offer?

Screenshot_20201101-190249_1604276139792.png

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Probably spring tails. Look those up and see if they match. If yes, they are harmless detrivores and won't harm your tortoise. They also come from the environment and colonize our warm damp enclosures. I just ignore them.

MacLachlan

Probably spring tails. Look those up and see if they match. If yes, they are harmless detrivores and won't harm your tortoise. They also come from the environment and colonize our warm damp enclosures. I just ignore them.

I thought springtails were much larger than what I'm seeing, so I didn't even consider them being what I see. Will try to get a better pic to help confirm. I had a bucket of coco coir left next to the tank on the floor and also found them in there. Do they wander around very much because if so... I have a divorce ahead of me. Lol

Thanks alot Tom! Always happy to trust your advice.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I thought springtails were much larger than what I'm seeing, so I didn't even consider them being what I see. Will try to get a better pic to help confirm. I had a bucket of coco coir left next to the tank on the floor and also found them in there. Do they wander around very much because if so... I have a divorce ahead of me. Lol

Thanks alot Tom! Always happy to trust your advice.
Springtails are tiny tiny. Maybe you are thinking of silver fish?

Do they wander? Well sort of. They are present in the environment all around us all the time. They are able to set up shop and build a family in the comfort of our warm humid enclosures. They usually reach a balance and are not a problem for spouses or tortoises.

MacLachlan

Have been finding them outside of the enclosure, humidity in the house isn't too high and usually about 72-74 degrees. Wasn't expecting them to survive outside the enclosure. Have been finding them in our bed even.

Wife is not happy all. Lol is there any safe sprays I can use to kill them without hurting the sulcata? I searched the forum but couldn't find any definite answers. Was hoping to avoid baking or freezing the substrate, but that may be the only option I'm guessing?