Micro-chipped??

Location (City and/or State)
Reading
I have been reading around about getting tortoises micro-chipped and I have seen mixed answers. Can anyone help with an answer for this question. What are the pros and cons about getting a tort chipped and how to go about it??

MEEJogja

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Indonesia
I can't speak to the pros and cons where you live, but it was a requirement for me to register mine with the local authority. I had them chipped two nights ago.
They said it would aid in getting them back to me if they were to be lost or stolen, and adds accountability as they are CITES protected.
I got it done at a vets, but had to try a couple before one was willing to do it for a tort. Call ahead.
It seemed like a minimal ordeal for them, I would say they were more traumatised by the journey than the procedure.
The microchip injection is the same as they use for cats and dogs, but the smaller variety (there seems to be two sizes). It is jabbed into the fatty area by the base of the tail.
The microchip comes with some paperwork and barcodes which can be stuck on documents, but do have an expiry date. Make sure you've got a good few years prior to expiry, otherwise you'll need to go through it all again.

MEEJogja

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Indonesia
I can't speak to the pros and cons where you live, but it was a requirement for me to register mine with the local authority. I had them chipped two nights ago.
They said it would aid in getting them back to me if they were to be lost or stolen, and adds accountability as they are CITES protected.
I got it done at a vets, but had to try a couple before one was willing to do it for a tort. Call ahead.
It seemed like a minimal ordeal for them, I would say they were more traumatised by the journey than the procedure.
The microchip injection is the same as they use for cats and dogs, but the smaller variety (there seems to be two sizes). It is jabbed into the fatty area by the base of the tail.
The microchip comes with some paperwork and barcodes which can be stuck on documents, but do have an expiry date. Make sure you've got a good few years prior to expiry, otherwise you'll need to go through it all again.
You probably know this already if you've been reading, but since it is fresh in my memory, I thought I'd share. We have always had our cats and dogs microchipped for some reason, perhaps just in case they get lost (which can still happen with a tort) so if the price is right, I think it's worth it.

Reading
You probably know this already if you've been reading, but since it is fresh in my memory, I thought I'd share. We have always had our cats and dogs microchipped for some reason, perhaps just in case they get lost (which can still happen with a tort) so if the price is right, I think it's worth it.
Thanks for the info :) :)